Anyone tried the Pioneer XDJ Aero?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone tried the Pioneer XDJ Aero?

Anyone out there have or used the Pioneer XDJ Aero? I got intrigued by it as it integrates with Rekordbox and can play tracks right off a USB...has built in mixer AND can be a MIDI controller for Traktor. That sounds like a good set of features to me...seemingly lots of bang for the buck.

I should say that I have several different sit-ups for DJing...I like to be versatile and I like to be comfortable playing on a variety of gear. Currently, I have a Denon MC3000 and a NI Kontrol F1 as my "minimal" setup. I also have a Denon DN-X1700, NI Kontrol X1, and a pair of turntables with time code vinyl as my DVS setup.

I wanted to add a pair of CDJs for practice at home, but really don't want to pay $800-$1500 per deck for Pioneer CDJs. I was considering the Gemini CDJ700 as they got some good reviews, can act as MIDI controllers and can be had for like $370 per deck...but no Rekordbox integration makes me hesitate a bit...the price is very good on those though...then I started thinking outside the box and thought what about the XDJ Aero? It seems to do everything I want: play USB media, RekorBox support, MIDI controller...I can prep my tracks, load them onto USB stick and/or iPhone, practice at home on the Aero as it is similar setup too club CDJs, and then take the USB and be able to play on "big boy" CDJs in the club...

So, is this a perfect solution for me? Or is it just wishful thinking? Anyone have any experience on one of these and care to comment?
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Mentor

I looked at them a while back, and had a wee demo in the shop. They are a great looking bit of kit, and should be fine for your needs as you have a couple other set-ups at hand.

I didn't go for it in the end though. Basically because, although it is a nice bit of kit, it is a little limiting if it's your only set-up. It would have been perfect if you could have used it simply as a source machine you could feed into a proper mixer. As it stands, it has a basic 2 channel mixer, with no send / return. This is what put me off.

But as you have some more advanced set-ups available to you, it would probably fit quite well with respect to wht your trying to achieve. Although not as flexible as a pair of CDJ's for integrating with your other set-ups.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

That's what I am trying to decide...whether I need/want the flexibility of stand-alone CDJs. If I bought a pair of CDJs, I would have no intention of playing out with them or the DN-X1700..they would strictly be for home practice. If I take any gear to play out...it is just the MC3000 plus the F1 (and my laptop, of course). The XDJ Aero may be limited in FX etc for performance, but it is a stand-alone player and mixer, so I could just play of a USB stick and/or RekordBox off my iPhone. My main attraction to it though was that it had *similarities* to higher-end Pioneer CDJs in terms of layout, features and RekordBox support for basically less than ONE CDJ-900.

If I go CDJs, I just can't justify the $$$ for Pioneer for me to practice at home, so it would be limited to the Gemini CDJ-700 as they seem to have good reviews and have *similar* layout to the CDJ-2000 and are also MIDI-mappable. That would let me use my mixer (and its FX, filters etc.) with them...but no RekordBox support...so no beat-gridding, not saved hotcues etc...

I briefly considered the Denon SC2900 as they seem to be a nice piece of kit, but eventually moved away from that as they have their own management software (Engine) that is basically useless unless I take the SC2900s when I go out and play or the club has them installed...neither of which will happen and the last thing I want to do is to have yet another music preparation and management workflow and software. I already have Traktor and RekordBox to conned with.

I am honestly torn here as to which direction to go....maybe I should just cave in and get a pair of Pioneer CDJs...but that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth having to do so...

Tech Mentor

I know exactly what you mean.

I am toying with getting CDJ 900's myself, simply because of Rekordbox compatibility, the link function, and quantised loops. I did consider the SC2900 / 3900 but as you say, it's another piece of management software to use, but you are unlikely to see them out the club.

IF the XDJ Aero could be configured as simply a source for plugging into a better mixer, that would have made it a MUCH more marketable product. Or if you could by the XDJ Aero players separately, and forego the mixer section completely, then I would be sold, and would have that set-up already. As it is though, you need to get the CDJ 900 at a minimum to get the functionality you will be hoping to utilise in a club, without being stuck with a sub-par mixer section.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Tech Guru

The Aero is pretty much identical to 2 low end CDJs with a basic mixer between them, so I don't see how they could improve the Aero by making it modular.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

It may well be low end players, but the Aero comes in at a lesser price than the most basic current CDJ anyway, and couple that with the wireless connectivity, if you got rid of the basic mixer and could hook it up to my DB4, for example, or the OP's DN-X1700, and we'd be laughing, without having to spend £3k on CDJ2K's or something.

The aero is appealing because it offers things that I want, but isn't way $$$...Assuming I don't need to play actual CDs...playing off USB stick is preferable to me, and I want RekordBox support AND the ability to use the CDJ as a controller for Traktor (HID preferred, but MIDI is sufficient), what would be the model from the Pioneer CDJ line that would support those needs. The most basic I guess would be the CDJ-350. Brand new, they can be found for about $450-$550 per deck. That is less than the Aero and would allow me to just hook them up to my DN-X1700 and use it to mix...

The CDJ 850s seem to hover around $800 or so per deck...which is is just a bit more than what I want to spend...the CDJ 900s...well, they are a bit more...let's just say that.

Since I don't know that I really need the WiFi of the Aero (who knows, maybe I would love it)...it seems like it would be a choice between 2 x CDJ 350s or the CDJ Aero. Is the CDJ 350 player "better" than the Aero player? e.g., which has better jogwheels, better response etc.

Tech Guru

The CDJ 400s support HID but not Rekordbox. The CDJ 350s support Rekordbox but not HID.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I had the CDJ 350's before going back to vinyl and rocking DVS. The jogwheels on the 350's are fine, but not as nice as the Aero when I had a shot. The players on the Aero did seem better than the 350's, hence why I would consider them as separate players.

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    I had the CDJ 350's before going back to vinyl and rocking DVS. The jogwheels on the 350's are fine, but not as nice as the Aero when I had a shot. The players on the Aero did seem better than the 350's, hence why I would consider them as separate players.
    Hmmmm...That's interesting. I may just need to find somewhere that has both so I can try them out. My local Guitar Center doesn't have either...

Which one would you give the nod to with respect to the display?

I'm really torn here mate. The 350s are definitely entry-level..but I don't know that I need anymore than that for home and I can integrate them right in with my DN-X1700...but I would likely never take them to play out. The Aero seems like it may have slightly nicer players, the mixer is less than ideal, but I could take it out and play with it live and has enough similarities in workflow to higher-end Pioneer gear to make it worth while...both would be in about the $1,000 price range...

Ughhhhh!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast