Headphone Mix and cueing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Headphone Mix and cueing

When you guys beatmatch do u guys use 1 or 2?

1. Headphone mix : 50% (Cue vs Master) and both ears listening to headphones

2. Headphone mix : 100% (Cue) on 1 ear using headphones, other ear on live monitors/ speakers

I'm on IEMs right now, and i find method 1 to be more accurate to hear whether my track is going off beat.

How bout for bringing in the track? Do you go

3. Headphone mix 100% (Master) with both ears on headphones or

4. Not use headphones at all and just listen to the house speakers

I'm sure theres no proper way but just wanted to get some opinions. Feel i've been using iems and 50% headphone cue too much (1 and 3), and am personally too used to it.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

50/50
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    50/50
    appreciate your reply jester (: glad to hear sum1 uses 50/50 too

did u ever try method 2?

i've been trying and its quite disappointing that it isnt as on point as when i use 1. haha

how bout for bringing in the track?
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Tech Mentor

50/50 for beatmatching (usually 70/30 in the non playing tracks favour), and use the monitors to bring the track in, whilst checking in headphones now and again to make sure mix is good.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Quote Originally Posted by Tornesoul View Post
    appreciate your reply jester (: glad to hear sum1 uses 50/50 too

did u ever try method 2?

i've been trying and its quite disappointing that it isnt as on point as when i use 1. haha

how bout for bringing in the track?
    Full cue for getting the levels bang on, then back to 50/50 for the mix in. I mix 100% in the headphones at home.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Student

Default Thanks for posting this...

I had similar questions about the bringing in the mix. Does anyone just look at levels and waveform to beatmatch without using headphones?

PanPan

2. Headphone mix : 100% (Cue) on 1 ear using headphones, other ear on live monitors/ speakers

I'm on IEMs right now, and i find method 1 to be more accurate to hear whether my track is going off beat.

I'm sure theres no proper way but just wanted to get some opinions. Feel i've been using iems and 50% headphone cue too much (1 and 3), and am personally too used to it.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    50/50 for beatmatching (usually 70/30 in the non playing tracks favour), and use the monitors to bring the track in, whilst checking in headphones now and again to make sure mix is good.
    Yep, this method for me also.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

2 and 3 mostly

100% mix when getting the levels right, when beatmatching, usually say 80% but that varies a lot,
    my mixer has a crossfader to fade between channel 1/2 when cueing so i flick it a lot.

same thing playing out, but generally i find that telling that stuff is not on time when having both tracks in the monitors as opposed to headphones

All in the headphones, mix of 1 and 3, with the occasional lifting of an earpad to check whether to compensate for the PA's EQ.
    On my ex behringer mixer, the cue/master is the most worn out - it is the main knob I look for when facing an unknown mixer for the first time (or whatever buttons make up for it, think DJM 300 and the like. Yuck).

Cue/master preview for beatmatching and adjusting the eq before bringing it in. Once that's started, I jump betwen cue/master and just the master - I need it to ride the pitch.

At home, I just can't turn the speakers up too much, and the habits developed by defaulting to the headphones have served me well so far, because it turns out you can't depend on a monitor a lot of the time.

At gigs, it may be too far or facing the wrong direction because the house limiter/main PA is so full of shit/turned down you can only use the monitor to push music to the room. Or maybe there just isn't one and all you have is the room's more or less messy/delayed/muffled sound to go by.

You can't always have a usable monitor, but you should always have headphones. Of course if you end up on a mixer with a fucked up cue section, you're screwed. But so is anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast