Great comment from one of the old school....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    177

    Default Great comment from one of the old school....

    From FB in reference to the concept of DJ's on stages/DJ's as Pop/Rock stars and the fact that some "crowds" just stand and watch.

    Terry Farley
    the 'crowd ' ( they used to be called DANCERS ) have forgotten or are to young to understand they are supposed to be the stars / the peacocks / the ace faces .. its the DJ's job to provide the soundtrack to a great party - nothing more nothing less



    If only a few more DJ's understood this.


    PS - if you don't know who Terry Farley is ........ no comment.

  2. #2
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iambiggles View Post
    From FB in reference to the concept of DJ's on stages/DJ's as Pop/Rock stars and the fact that some "crowds" just stand and watch.

    Terry Farley
    the 'crowd ' ( they used to be called DANCERS ) have forgotten or are to young to understand they are supposed to be the stars / the peacocks / the ace faces .. its the DJ's job to provide the soundtrack to a great party - nothing more nothing less



    If only a few more DJ's understood this.


    PS - if you don't know who Terry Farley is ........ no comment.
    Good post. Funnily enough I saw Terry had posted this on his FB timeline earlier, sage like words from him, a proper legend. And agree totally with your 'PS' too
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Just to add, Terry was referring to (for those who've not see the FB post):

    http://5chicago.com/news/2013/04/30/...throwing-shit/
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    137

    Default

    This happened to Yousef a while back at Circus. He got a bottle to the head so he turned off the music and then walked off stage. Rightly so. Why anyone would want to harm or disrupt a performer is beyond me.

    On the Terry subject; great lists of tracks by him here - http://www.dummymag.com/lists/2013/0...-terry-farley/
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

    Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

  5. #5
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    This happened to Yousef a while back at Circus. He got a bottle to the head so he turned off the music and then walked off stage. Rightly so. Why anyone would want to harm or disrupt a performer is beyond me.

    On the Terry subject; great lists of tracks by him here - http://www.dummymag.com/lists/2013/0...-terry-farley/
    Really Joe?!! Jeez, that's v bad indeed - totally agree, it's mindless and a shame, especially when you think the ethos behind House Music is/was supposed to be a collective thing, all together.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by backtothefront View Post
    Really Joe?!! Jeez, that's v bad indeed - totally agree, it's mindless and a shame, especially when you think the ethos behind House Music is/was supposed to be a collective thing, all together.
    You still get the tw@ts unfortunately BTTF, although they seem to be a lot more apparent these days.

    Yeah, someone chucked a water bottle and he just turned the music off and walked off. He came back about 10 minutes later, but there was no music for the whole time. Crazy. He tweeted about it the next day, saying how could someone do this at an event he has been building for the past 8 years (at the time).

    I tried finding some press on the Yousef incident, and stumbled across this; huge coincidence...

    http://www.trackitdown.net/news/show/100131.html (halfway down the interview)
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

    Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by backtothefront View Post
    Really Joe?!! Jeez, that's v bad indeed - totally agree, it's mindless and a shame, especially when you think the ethos behind House Music is/was supposed to be a collective thing, all together.
    Unfortunately, it seems like club culture has gone full circle - i'm old enough to remember when the football gangs first started going to acid clubs like Shoom and Spectrum - where previously they would have been killing each other, they were dancing together (albeit chemically induced ) - but now the yobs seem to have got back into clubbing. Its like the worst of the late 70's early 80's all over again. Fortunately, there are still bastions of taste and decency out there

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    173

    Default

    I agree - I don't see how people can just stand there and watch a DJ mix. Even those who always say that a DJ should "interact with his crowd"...there's only so much a DJ can do (at least one on his own who doesn't have a stage show or anything); throw your arms in the air a bit? fist pump? Nod your head? Clap? That's about it. Who the hell wants to stand there and watch that?
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

  9. #9
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iambiggles View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like club culture has gone full circle - i'm old enough to remember when the football gangs first started going to acid clubs like Shoom and Spectrum - where previously they would have been killing each other, they were dancing together (albeit chemically induced ) - but now the yobs seem to have got back into clubbing. Its like the worst of the late 70's early 80's all over again. Fortunately, there are still bastions of taste and decency out there
    Do you know what Biggles, that's pretty much what I was thinking of, it's almost as if a new gen who don't give a flying wotsit about proper club culture and it's history have started coming to the clubs, seems to coincide with the recent rise in mainstream popularity of dance music or the dreaded 'EDM'. But that's my only two penneth worth.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

  10. #10
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CountenanT View Post
    I agree - I don't see how people can just stand there and watch a DJ mix. Even those who always say that a DJ should "interact with his crowd"...there's only so much a DJ can do (at least one on his own who doesn't have a stage show or anything); throw your arms in the air a bit? fist pump? Nod your head? Clap? That's about it. Who the hell wants to stand there and watch that?
    Yep, completely agree CountT, the whole idea seems weird to me. I think the 'EDM' shows have gone to far in some respects.

    I'm not sure where I saw it but some site (could've been DJTT?) put out a poll regarding which would you prefer to see a DJ/or play as a DJ 1) Big stage, lots of flashing lights, 'EDM' (awful term) stadium type gig aka SHM, Guetta etc or 2) a smaller, darker dance floor level booth right in with the crowd.

    Guess which was picked the most....

    Naturally 2)

    Which gave me some hope
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •