Amazing DJ Commentary [Lots of Cussing] - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I genuinely cannot say I know of anyone that has got into vinyl because they think it makes them cool.
    I do, may i stand behind my retarded argument now?
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Well that's my point isn't it? Their position is based on their name, not the actual capabilities of the unit.
    Yes, you're completely right. Still, you cannot deny that because of their name, the cdj line are the only HID compatible devices (both with traktor and ssl) currently on the market... And their top of the line 2000nxs have more functions than any other media player available now (maybe the sc3900 is there, but nothing else)
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

Hmm, in Denmark I haven't really seen any controllers - atleast not in Copenhagen. Seems like there's a big market for vinyl here and it seems many dj's strictly play vinyl. Any thoughts on this?

Not hating on controllers btw
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

This WHOLE argument right here is my issue with CDJs. Vinyl has tactile control, CDJs do not. In this day and age, I can understand people still using Vinyl for whatever they want to do with it - although I DO still think it offers you less capabilities than Traktor, unless you're a turntablist - because it does, at least, offer ONE benefit over MIDI controllers. CDJs offer nothing, which is why I just can't understand using them now.
    What do you mean they offer nothing ... ?

Standardized set-up is pretty important to some people.
    Not having to carry all that gear is pretty important to some people.
    Not having to be a twat in the booth plugging your cables in and balancing your S4 on a piece of foam when the warm up is finishing his set is pretty important to some people.
    Not worrying about your laptop crashing is pretty important to some people.
    Being able to mingle, with actual people, without worrying if somebody's run off with your MacBook is pretty important to some people.
    etc. etc.

To say they offer nothing is bollocks pal.

It makes me laugh how some button mashing/fx chomping "controllerists" are so defensive over their equipment, get over it, or get some cdj's and stfu.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    What do you mean they offer nothing ... ?

Standardized set-up is pretty important to some people.
    Irrelevant if you're using your own gear.

Not having to carry all that gear is pretty important to some people.
    Laziness. Clearly you've never had to lug 200 vinyls and a pair of TTs down to a venue.

Not having to be a twat in the booth plugging your cables in and balancing your S4 on a piece of foam when the warm up is finishing his set is pretty important to some people.
    See my previous post about cabling.

Not worrying about your laptop crashing is pretty important to some people.
    Laptops don't just "crash" for no reason, they crash if YOU make them. Plus you're acting like CDJs aren't computerized as well.

Being able to mingle, with actual people, without worrying if somebody's run off with your MacBook is pretty important to some people.
    Wtf? Are you there to DJ or to club? You shouldn't have TIME to "mingle".

Nicky wins.

/thread
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I do, may i stand behind my retarded argument now?
    Dude. mate, I wasn't saying you're argument is retarded.
    I was saying that the guy in the video was being retarded by perpetuating the ridiculous assumption at all vinyl DJ's think that vinyl makes them look cool.

Also, when I say that I do not know any vinyl DJ's that do it just to be cool, what I mean is, DJ's that play and do gigs and are pro or semi-pro. I could care less for the attitude and intentions of bedroom DJ's on this subject. Young, bedroom DJ's do not have an opinion worth listening to. Of course they think they are cool. When you are in your teens you think the world revolves around you.

I bet there are 100's of 1000's of bedroom DJ's that think they are cool cus they use vinyl. I know this cus I have to listen to their shit when they spaz out at me using an S4 at my weekly gigs.

If you are a gigging DJ using vinyl, you have spent a lot of time, money and learnt skill. Being cool is not high on the list when it's something you love.

Moving onto the subject of CDJ's... I get more shit for using an S4 from DJ's (or kids that don't gig) that use CDJ's than vinyl.

There is always talk about vinyl snobs and purists and little talk about CDJ snobs. I don't get it...!!!

CDJ's are not the be-all and end-all. I want to smash a guys teeth out when he tries to look down on me for using an S4 because he uses CDJ's. Not cus I am an old vinyl DJ who has owed CDJ's and now uses a controller but because:

A. I find CDJ's to be ultimately boring to play on.
    B: They are lifeless. Even more so than a controller that offers so many functions.
    C: It is IMPOSSIBLE to do a bad mix on a CDJ.

I just dont get it how the CDJ generation thinks their shit dont stink.

I dont care at all what medium people use. I am not a DJ snob in anyway at all... but if I had to put any medium at the bottom of the food chain it would be the CDJ.

Sorry man, i misunderstood your post then. I apologize sincerely..

Moving onto the subject of CDJ's... I get more shit for using an S4 from DJ's (or kids that don't gig) that use CDJ's than vinyl.

There is always talk about vinyl snobs and purists and little talk about CDJ snobs. I don't get it...!!!
    True that, i guess it's more like controllerists vs everyone else nowadays..

A. I find CDJ's to be ultimately boring to play on.
    B: They are lifeless. Even more so than a controller that offers so many functions.
    ^this right here.

The ironic thing is, these CDJ snob assholes you find everywhere were the same people getting ripped on mercilessly by Vinyl DJs a decade ago. I know this, because I was one of those vinyl DJs who took the piss out of anyone who used CDs. It wasn't until MIDI controllers came out that I realised there was a better solution than playing vinyl.

HOWEVER, if you ask them, most of the CDJ users who look down on controllerists have two very important characteristics:

a) They STARTED DJing on CDJs. People who moved from Vinyl to CDJs are usually a lot more forgiving because they understand that the technology evolves.
    b) They've rarely owned/used a controller exclusively, so they're talking from a point of assumption rather than one of experience

The one exception to b) are those who care more about image than they do about their own performances. I know a few people who've said stupid shit like "I hate CDJs but I don't think anyone will take my seriously if I use my <insert controller here>"; those are the ones who worry me the most... I kinda feel sorry for them and usually try to encourage them to keep using their controller and ignore what anyone else says, because ultimately their mixing will be better using the gear that they feel most comfortable with.

Hell, that's why I personally own a bunch of different controllers, because for playing different genres, in different types of venues, different gear feels most comfortable to me. If I'm playing in a Top 40 venue, I want something with big jogwheels, good transport controls, loop/beatjump encoders (ideally with buttons as well) and a pitchfader. If I'm playing trance or progressive house, I primarily want FX control and a nice smooth mixer section, or the ability to set my gear up close to the house mixer. If I was playing R'n'B or hip-hop, I'd want DVS'd TTs and a cuepoint/loop/beatjump controller (X1 most likely, although I could probably get away with dicers at a pinch).

I can't think of ANY genre I'd play where I'd think to myself, "oh yeah, I'd love some CDJs", because they don't tick enough boxes. They don't have moving platters, so they can't replace TTs, and they don't have decent loop/beatjump functionality, so they can't replace MIDI transport controllers. I understand how they were a brilliant alternative to turntables when they were the ONLY alternative, but a MIDI controller + software package does everything a CDJ does and a hell of a lot more, in a much more flexible way; and no amount of people praising them for XYZ is going to change that fact.

Tech Guru

If I was playing R'n'B or hip-hop, I'd want DVS'd TTs and a cuepoint/loop/beatjump controller (X1 most likely, although I could probably get away with dicers at a pinch).
    Weren't you saying earlier in the thread the only reason to have TTs is for turntableism?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast