Does your play style change when you use CDJs?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Does your play style change when you use CDJs?

Im one of the few residents that uses MIDI, and i usually get put down by other, older residents scolding me on how real djs use cdjs bla bla, not the point of the thread. I use midi cause it improves my performance su much, having visual references i can mix songs so that intros of one son overlap perfectly with the drop of the other one and so on, sadly i havent been able to achieve this with cdjs and i dont want to risk my job. When i use cdjs i find myself playing one track to the end, where i just play the outro with the intro of the next and so on. Recently i noticed that all the other local djs do this aswell, they just use large mashups instead of individual tracks. Should i bother trying to learn cdjs as well as i know midi or do i continue doing my midi?

Tech Guru

If by MIDI you mean a huge all-in-one controller then yes, it would be a good idea to start using CDJs instead. You can connect them to software and add in a small modular MIDI controller to "improve your performance".
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I usually use Serato on turntables and used to use a VCI 100 with Traktor and the major difference I find between them and CDJs is that I always spend too much time look for a certain track on CDJs cause I have to flick through all my CDs and find the right one. However, the newer CDJs have USB link input, which I dig the shit out of.
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Tech Wizard

It sounds like you and 'all the other local dj's' need to learn your tracks better and spend more time practising.

Learning to use CDJ's would be advantageous if you plan to continue to play out if you feel it is an issue for you.

The styles of mixing you refer to can be achieved on any medium, and are some of the basics of djing and knowing your tracks well.
    TSP2.6.5 | Kontrol Z2 | Technics 1210M3D x2 | TMA-1 | Wharfedale 8.1 ProActive x2 | MacBookPro 8,1 (OSX 10.9 2.0GHz, i7, 8GB/1TB Hybrid)

I started off using a software and now I'm using CDJs, which I can use a software with, but I don't.

I understand why you're saying that using a MIDI controller improves your mixes. It's more convenient and faster. I've been there, I just switched to CDJs because it was a personal choice. I just want to learn and mix without relying on a software. With lots of practice eventually you'll reach that same level. You just need to learn your music. I think it will benefit you in the long run if you learn using CDJs, but you don't have to. It's like learning how to drive manual, you don't need to know but it is better to know.

You have to learn your tracks inside and out. If you rely on waveforms only, you won't train your brain to lock onto the audio cues in a track letting you know what's coming up. Keep using your controller, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but try to turn your monitor off, or cover up your screen so that you aren't looking at it.
    This trick works for learning to match by ear as well, you cover the BPM and figure it out yourself.
    And don't let those dudes beat you up too much, once upon a time they were the odd ones out, as cdjs were just coming on the scene, and if you didn't mix with vinyl, you were a toy. Use what you like, but learn to use it well.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Memorize your tunes bruv. Visualize the counts in your head.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Question: Does your play style change when you use CDJ's

Absolutely. When I use turntables (with serato), my mixing style is much more in-your-face and brazen, often involving scratching, cutting, and quick mixes. With CDJ's, I tend to have much more smooth mixes. This is because with CDJ's, I can mash the cue button and get a track to start exactly when I want, whereas with turntables you must back-cue a song and "throw" it in on the downbeat.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dayvue View Post
    Question: Does your play style change when you use CDJ's

Absolutely. When I use turntables (with serato), my mixing style is much more in-your-face and brazen, often involving scratching, cutting, and quick mixes. With CDJ's, I tend to have much more smooth mixes. This is because with CDJ's, I can mash the cue button and get a track to start exactly when I want, whereas with turntables you must back-cue a song and "throw" it in on the downbeat.
    Serato has cue points as well. Are you using absolute or relative mode?

I use midi cause it improves my performance su much, having visual references i can mix songs so that intros of one son overlap perfectly with the drop of the other one and so on,
    DJ's do this without visual aids. That's the difference between DJ'ing and someone that plays records.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast