Should you only disconnect FW soundcards when your computer is off ?

Default Should you only disconnect FW soundcards when your computer is off ?

So I got a Focusrite PRO 24 yesterday and it came with a warning.
    It said to only connect and disconnect the device when my computer is turned off.

Is this a thing ? I never knew that that it is important.

I have a MBP and I almost never turn it off, it's always in sleep mode.
    What if I want to connect my FireWire HDD ? Do I need to restart my computer, unplug the focusrite and then plug in the HDD? Seems like quite a hassle.

Tech Mentor

does the safire pro not have firewire daisychain ability like most firewire devices?

Quote Originally Posted by michael133 View Post
    does the safire pro not have firewire daisychain ability like most firewire devices?
    Do you mean plug multiple devices into one FW port ?

Edit: I'm prettu sure my HDD can do this, but the focusrite just has one FW port.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    So I got a Focusrite PRO 24 yesterday and it came with a warning.
    It said to only connect and disconnect the device when my computer is turned off.

Is this a thing ? I never knew that that it is important.

I have a MBP and I almost never turn it off, it's always in sleep mode.
    What if I want to connect my FireWire HDD ? Do I need to restart my computer, unplug the focusrite and then plug in the HDD? Seems like quite a hassle.
    YMMV, but in my experience the Firewire Bus gets very unhappy if you hotplug. Is it on a Mac or a PC?

It may end up being something you never have problems with, but Firewire hotplugging has been known to damage either the components on the actual Firewire device, or on the chipset in the computer. It's enough of a reality that lead me to get the Saffire 6 instead of the Pro 24, so I could use USB. The standard practice is to make sure the laptop is shut down before plugging in, or unplugging something into the Firewire port. Some even go so far as to make sure their power cable isn't connected.

Tech Guru

Firewire devices are not always plug and play, so you might need to reboot before they will appear. There shouldn't be any danger connecting/disconnecting when the computer is on though.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Do you mean plug multiple devices into one FW port ?

Edit: I'm prettu sure my HDD can do this, but the focusrite just has one FW port.
    thats what i meant does the focusrite have single or two firewire ports as im not familiar with them my m-audio profire has two firewire ports.

^ONE firewire port.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Firewire devices are not always plug and play, so you might need to reboot before they will appear.
    This is no issue in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    There shouldn't be any danger connecting/disconnecting when the computer is on though.
    That is what I wanted to hear. The warning sticker might just be there to protect focusrite from law suits or something.

With audio interfaces, I only disconnect them when the computer and interface are powered off. Some companies will say they're OK to be hotswapped/hotplugged, but I've heard enough companies say whatever the customers want to hear so I just play it safe.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Aww damn. Is there someone with a definitive and substantiated awnser ?

Tech Guru

Speakers connected to the interface should of course be turned off before connecting/disconnecting, also turn down any mixer channels you may be connected to.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB