DJing with Ableton

Default DJing with Ableton

I know I can probably look up tutorials on youtube, but I'm at work so that will have to wait.

Anyways, my question is... is DJing on ableton any different than triggering samples/loops on the remix deck with Traktor? Obv its not the same, and its way more in depth, but is it the general idea?

Also... is it possible for DJs to even screw up using Ableton? Everythings quantized and synced right?

Please refrain from saying Ableton isnt DJing. Idc what your opinion on that is... I just want to know if its possible for ableton DJs to screw up/is it like remix decks. thanks!
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    I know I can probably look up tutorials on youtube, but I'm at work so that will have to wait.

Anyways, my question is... is DJing on ableton any different than triggering samples/loops on the remix deck with Traktor? Obv its not the same, and its way more in depth, but is it the general idea?

Also... is it possible for DJs to even screw up using Ableton? Everythings quantized and synced right?

Please refrain from saying Ableton isnt DJing. Idc what your opinion on that is... I just want to know if its possible for ableton DJs to screw up/is it like remix decks. thanks!
    Ive never done it but i am sure you can screw up just as easily if not easier - think of how many samples you would have to work with - if you trigger two different basslines - BOOM here is a way to screw up

Let me put it this way...I saw sasha trainwreck with ableton. You cam screw up just the same as any other format. There's more mistakes out there than drifting beats.

I djed with ableton for a while and didn't much care for it. You can only see 1 waveform at a time. You can't fit that much typed info into a clip. You pretty much have to prep and warp your tracks to dj them. No cue points so you have to cut up your tracks into different clips to accomplish the same thing.

With that said there are positive aspects and some people love djing in that style. Try it for yourself and see if you like it.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    Let me put it this way...I saw sasha trainwreck with ableton. You cam screw up just the same as any other format. There's more mistakes out there than drifting beats.

I djed with ableton for a while and didn't much care for it. You can only see 1 waveform at a time. You can't fit that much typed info into a clip. You pretty much have to prep and warp your tracks to dj them. No cue points so you have to cut up your tracks into different clips to accomplish the same thing.

With that said there are positive aspects and some people love djing in that style. Try it for yourself and see if you like it.
    yea. i hear its a hassle. I think it may suit "performers" and producers who aren't actual DJs... but if you're actually a DJ who DJs for a living, Ableton doesn't seem the route to go for me.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Convert

Having used both Ableton and Traktor for DJing, I can confidently say that the screw up potential for Ableton is about the same as the one in Traktor. If you're on the ball, you'll be fine. But if there's a track that isn't warped exactly right, or you're playing full tracks and miscue, you'll have some fixing to do in your headphones before you can bring the track back in.

I personally enjoy DJing in Traktor more, since you can see multiple waveforms, and you don't have to warp. That said, I actually learned to DJ with Ableton using a Launchpad and a VCM-600, so I'd say it's a very viable option.

Quantization is only good if you put in the prep work before hand. Dragging and dropping songs or clips into a live thing is asking for trouble.

And finally, the best local DJ around where I live uses Ableton and an APC 40, and consistently drops dynamite sets. I presume that a lot of that comes from prep work, but a prepared DJ is a good DJ, tools used to play aside. Give it a shot; the free trials offered on Ableton's website are more than enough to give you a taste of what Ableton can do.