Need help on which laptop to pick for djing...13.3" or 15.6"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help on which laptop to choose...Lenovo 13.3" or Acer 15.6"?

I'm in possession of these two laptops below (have not opened them yet) and can't decide on which one I should pick as far as using it with Traktor Pro and possibly with VDJ as well:

Acer 15.6"

http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-V...product_130417

Lenovo 13.3"

http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-IdeaPa...product_141488

I know the screen size is one big difference between the two (I'm currently using a 14.1" Toshiba that is quite a few years old and very underpowered), but I can't decide if going with the Acer (which has backlit keyboard, bigger screen, DVD drive, touchscreen, but weights alot more and has a lower processor) is better than going with the Lenovo which is an ultrabook (very lightweight, much better processor, but no DVD drive, no backlit keyboard).

I do like the backlity keyboard feature of the Acer and larger screen, but does those things outweigh it being alot heavier and having ain i3 vs an i5 in the Lenovo? Would I really have an issue with the smaller 13.3" screen of the Lenovo, no backlit keyboard, no optical drive?

Any opinions or recommendations on which way I should be leaning here and which feature is more important and critical to djing?
    Last edited by joemann002; 05-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.

I'd go for the more powerful machine. Optical drives are not absolutely necessarily anymore anyway...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I'd go for the more powerful machine. Optical drives are not absolutely necessarily anymore anyway...
    So other than having a acklit keyboard and larger screen the Lenovo should be the better option here due to being more powerfull overall? The difference in screen size is made up by the much powerful i5 vs i3 on the Acer?

Lenovo hands down.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

So you guys think there is no issue with 13.3" screen for djiing? I do see many posting of using a MBP 13" in their setup so assume many are OK with using that screen size for gigs.

Its a small screen, but you will be fine, just don't look at it much. The smaller size will be a lot nicer than hauling around an almost 16" laptop.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

13 inch is fine. Run your DJ program full screen and not in a window.

So a combination of i5/4GB ram is better than say an i3/8GB (upgrade from installed 4GB) of RAM?

I ask this because it seems like with the Lenovo if you open the back cover and try to upgrade RAM you void the warranty. There is not a user replaceable area to just upgrade RAM so really need to take the full back off and watching some videos it is very friendly task. Also if I did it there is only one slot so I would be throwing away the 4GB RAM that I have already paid for with the price of the laptop.

The Acer is upgradeable to 8GB and has 2 slots so I can just pop in another 4GB and have 8GB max running with an i3 processor. So

So now wondering which combo would make more sense here...i5/4GB (not to void warranty) vs i3/8GB?

Tech Mentor

Personally, I would take the larger screen - I run on a 15.6" and find it just about adequate, anything smaller would most definitely be difficult. Lack of a CD drive would also be an issue for me, but I understand they may be completely obsolete for some people.

The processor is probably the smallest of the issues, both processors will run Traktor and VDJ no problem, as would many lesser processors (you'd be surprised at what you can run these things on), assuming you're running with fairly standard settings in terms of sampling and latency I doubt you'd see a huge difference.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Mentor

I disagree i think the processor is one of the main differences.

I have a 13" Macbook 2009, screen size is fine for djing the bigger the screen the more tempted you are to 'Serato Face' you dont want to rely looking at a screen anyway, and i have played in some clubs were the booth is so small finding a place to put my 13" macbook is sumtimes a nightmare....

in regards to proccessor, if your wanting this laptop to last longer you want the best processor you want... if u decide to start producing using a DAW like Abelton and running VSTS you will want the most power you can get. As these get quite cpu hungry, so does traktor at points when i midi sync maschine at the same time...

i am a Mac fanboy and i admit it, but if i was ever to get a windows laptop it would be a Lenovo
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast