MBP Track Pad Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default MBP Track Pad Problem

Hey all,

I've seem to run into a little problem with my trackpad. The it's no longer clicking. I do have the "tap-anywhere" function on so it doesn't inhibit me from clicking but I do like the feedback on the click.

Has anybody else run into this problem? Possible solutions? Is it an easy fix?
    Unfortunately there isn't an apple store here in Barbados, but I will be back in Toronto next weekend, so I wonder if they'll be able to do anything about it.

Thanks,
    Chev

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

• Take off the bottom case
    • There is a big shiny screw beside the trackpad that can be adjusted.
    • Check that your battery is not swollen its one of the reasons a trackpad can suddenly stop clicking anymore.

If your battery is swollen (pregnant battery syndrome)
    • If it is a swollen battery and your cycle count is less than 300 you should get a brand new one
    • If you battery count is above 300, still holding a charge and the battery is causing damage to the casing you should get a brand new one

You will have to pay for installation though if out of warranty
    Last edited by deevey; 05-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Tech Mentor

sweet thanks man. I think I'll just wait till I get back in Toronto. Secondly, I'm not a tech guy at all, is there a way for me to check the cycles of my battery?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

...also, this happens to a lot of tracks pads. I had mine replaced twice in my last MBP.

Tech Mentor

jeez, well I've had mine for 2 years now, and honestly it's the first time the trackpad's acted and really the first actualy problem in general I've encountered with it.

You can check the battery cycles by going into

Apple menu > About this mac > more info > system report

Then click on power in the left hand menu, it will show the state of your battery and the cycle count.

Tech Mentor

cool thanks, I just checked. I'm at 455.

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what does the battery cycle actually mean with respect to it's life, and overall impact to my computer as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by BiggChev View Post
    cool thanks, I just checked. I'm at 455.

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what does the battery cycle actually mean with respect to it's life, and overall impact to my computer as a whole?
    Just means you are draining the battery more than 10% of 100% every other day, in the grand scheme of things makes bugger all difference to the machine itself, even a huge cycle count can still get a few hours per charge if its been treated right.

Apple Batteries however are only warrantied up until 300 cycle counts regardless of the warranty left on the computer.

Its just really a frame of reference to usage rather than how long things will last.

A swollen battery on the other hand is a completely different thing and really requires a replacement or it can cause machine damage (bent/burst casing, trackpad damage etc)

Tech Mentor

Cool,

you folks have been a great help. When I get back to Toronto I'll take it into the Apple store and see what the problem is. Like I said it's not a huge problem as I have the tap anywhere function on, but yeah if it's a swollen battery I'd like to get it dealt with sooner than later.

Thanks all!

Yep...fixed my 13" MB Trackpad like this after I dropped it.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast