Idea's for a 20 min DJ battle mix

Default Idea's for a 20 min DJ battle mix

so the club i play at every friday night is having a 'DJ battle' where local DJs have the chance to earn a residency spot in the club. Its judged on confidence, transitions and flow. Can use either CDJ 1000s or Controller and i am leaning more towards controller as it will allow me to make a more perfect mix than on CDJs (not that advanced with CDJs atm). It's a commercial club so the usual progressive and mainstream crap is usually played, however i want to play a different style as i am expecting all the other djs to load their set with the latest and biggest progressive house/electro/house 'bangers'. Any ideas?

Tech Mentor

Everyone loves acapella play. If you are going for less known tunes, get some known acapellas to go with them.

come up with your own.

seriously.

but yes, everybody loves acapellas, i can confirm that, just don't overdo it
    Last edited by johney; 05-10-2013 at 03:10 AM.

^i think he is going to come up with his own, OP didn't ask for us to make the mix for him. Great advice tho.

Throw your own tracks in that you play regularly, and find some remixes of more well known tracks to throw in here and there. If you are ready for a residency, you will be fine. If not, take the contest as a lesson learned, and an area for improvement.

Is this the first comp you are entering.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    come up with your own.

seriously.

Brilliant, knew i would get one of you. Is it really too hard to just get some ADVICE.. I don't need help doing it just wanting someone elses input with some IDEAS im not asking what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    ^i think he is going to come up with his own, OP didn't ask for us to make the mix for him. Great advice tho.

Throw your own tracks in that you play regularly, and find some remixes of more well known tracks to throw in here and there. If you are ready for a residency, you will be fine. If not, take the contest as a lesson learned, and an area for improvement.

Is this the first comp you are entering.
    Yeah thats what i was thinking, remixes that have gone down well previously and some fresh electro house with some acapellas. I don't mind if i win or lose but if i won would really force the issue that they should give me more work haha

Tech Guru

Live mash ups etc...dont over do the fx
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Convert

Do something that's memorable!

like this

Tech Guru

I would check out soundcloud for battle mixes to get ideas of what works and doesn't work......DMC, Redbull, etc.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    come up with your own.

seriously.

this clown opens every thread and tries to find a way to add his negativity to it. just ignore him.

as for advice, DJ battles are fun. Throwing down some old school classic remixes is a huge way to get a reaction from the crowd.

idk if you're going to be this advanced (this is a DMC champ by the way...) but check this out..

I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr