Help with my Vinyl DJ setup... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if your using DVS unplug your laptop from the power supply and let it run on battery. If the hum has gone then Patch was right, To fix it get a 'ground loop isolator' they are about $10 - $15 on eBay. I don't think you use DVS from your description..

I had an issue with my old DJM-600 it would lose it's ground every now and then.. To fix it I needed to remove the turntable grounds and reattach. That got annoying so I got a simple push button switch that would open the circuit on press and close on release.

Not using a laptop with this setup buddy. Can you provide more details on the push button switch you used?

Tech Guru

Are you able to undo the internal grounding mod, or do you have access to unmodded turntables?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

it was just a temporary spring loaded switch that opened the circuit when you pressed it 'the same as if you disconnected the ground wire'. Then when you release it closes the circuit again like reconnecting it. It was a very crude solution but it worked and I was able to fix the problem as soon as it occurred without having to fiddle with the back of the mixer.

To test if you have a similar problem just disconnect and reconnect your ground wire while a record is playing. if the feedback disappears then that's your problem.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Are you able to undo the internal grounding mod, or do you have access to unmodded turntables?

I dont have access to unmodded decks at present. However I had to take one of my decks back to where it was serviced, so I will get them to remove the internal ground and test it that way.

Thanks.

Tech Convert

Thanks mate. The feedback isn't that bad that you can hear it when music is blasting. Only when it stops do you hear it, at low levels the feedback isn't too loud, but turn the gain up and it gets louder (obviously!).

I think makar1 might be on to something tho...

Tech Guru

Here's what one of the Rane mods had to say about the ground mod:
    http://serato.com/forum/discussion/139828 (1/3 down the page)
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

This is why I've never done the internal grounding mod.

If Technics COULD have internally grounded the turntable at the factory, they WOULD have done it at the factory.

I can't believe anyone is that bothered by connecting the GND wires anyway.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Here's what one of the Rane mods had to say about the ground mod:
    http://serato.com/forum/discussion/139828 (1/3 down the page)

Thanks buddy. Explains a lot.

It also confirms my problem for me. Just went out and bought an SL1200 that is not internally grounded (couldn't believe the price I got it for ). Tested it on my set up, and no feedback. Gonna get them to undo both decks next week.

The whole reason I wanted to do this was because I found the ground wire so annoying, should have known better.

Thanks all for the input

Tech Convert

having said all of the above. I just read all the other posts on that link makar1 sent me. It seems there are differing opinions on the subject, with some commenting they have been internally grounding for years without any trouble.

Either way, my experience hasn't been so good (or maybe the technician who did it is just a muppet). So personally, I will stay clear in future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12