setting levels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting levels

Default setting levels

Right i am having problems with my levels, I am getting MP3's from a few places different websites and a rip some from cd's and some from vinyl. So my levels can be all over the place and when i am mixing some times the next track comes in and i am playing with the levels for 30 seconds so the tunes drops with no power.So what am i to do?

1. just get tunes from one place, seems a bit stupid cuz i will not get half the tunes i want
    2. I have seen that itunes has some sort of sound check on it with this save it to the MP3 so the levels are about the same. Could this distort some of the tracks that have less volume to make them up to the level of some of my other tracks and then make the loud ones less punchy?
    3. Find some 3rd party software to do some sort of normalization on my whole library
    4. Or ask you guys to do all the work for me and tell me what to do!

thanks

thats what gain control is for? ...
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

yeah but when i am monitoring it sounds ok and then when it goes out live in a club its missing the punch and i have to put the gain up after the drop has gone out to the master.

have you tried using platinum notes?

http://www.platinumnotes.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbz View Post
    have you tried using platinum notes?

http://www.platinumnotes.com/
    Yeah that looks like the right sort of thing, shame there is not a trial version cuz its $98.

do you have visual meters anywhere where you can compare the strength of the incoming track and the one that's playing. that's usually you're best bet to compare. or as you're bringing the track in carefully listen to the difference in "loudness" and adjust accordingly as you bring it in.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    do you have visual meters anywhere where you can compare the strength of the incoming track and the one that's playing. that's usually you're best bet to compare. or as you're bringing the track in carefully listen to the difference in "loudness" and adjust accordingly as you bring it in.
    +1

This is the only operation you should need to use to find proper loudness on the incoming track. You should be able to switch between cue signals and quickly get the gain into similar shape. The cue signal that is playing in the mains will sound louder of course ... but thats something that you generally grow accustomed to.
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

I am running tarkot pro vci and all that but the gain for some track just will not go loud enough and they just sound weak compared to the track before hand. My mate has a studio so i might have to go and master my whole collection there its just going to take months

if the track is weak ass 128k mp3. editing it will just make it worse. I only work with tracks that have good dynamics and good production. any track like this will be possible to increase gain during the mix.. And extra loud tracks I always turn down to begin with. practice with different kinds of gain structure in your setup .. give your self extra headroom before main output. Anytime you edit digital signals.. even just adjustment of gain ... it decreases quality and dynamics.
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

I dont know if you are on a pc or a mac, but if you are on a pc, Media Monkey does a decent job of normalizing tracks and that feature is turned on in the free version.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast