MIDI-controller for scratching!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Default MIDI-controller for scratching!

I know that I should pick up some TTs to scratch, but I'd rather have one or two MIDI-controllers to do that.

My VCI-100 is good and all, but the 7bit-midi-message isn't just enough.

Can anyone recommend any MIDI-controllers for that task (customizing them a little would be ok as well)?

Which controller's 14 bit messages are supported by Traktor already?
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Default What Not To DO

Whatever you do, don't get an SCS3D and try and scratch with it. This will bring disgrace and insanity into your life.
    You will begin to imagine large crowds gathering around you to watch in awe whenever you show it off in public.
    The halucinations will include dozens and dozens of e-mails asking you to please share your secrets and TSIs.
    Tragic delusions will include, but not be limited to, the inability to tell if the cute little waveforms in Traktor are moving in conjunction with your hand.
    You will be put on trial in every turntablist forum on the planet as a treacherous scoundrel who practises the most unholy of deceptions against the dj community.
    And worst of all, you will have to argue with and explain yourself to, every fraudulent, duplicitous, mountebank DJ who ever owned a turntable.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drimachus View Post
    Whatever you do, don't get an SCS3D and try and scratch with it. This will bring disgrace and insanity into your life.
    You will begin to imagine large crowds gathering around you to watch in awe whenever you show it off in public.
    The halucinations will include dozens and dozens of e-mails asking you to please share your secrets and TSIs.
    Tragic delusions will include, but not be limited to, the inability to tell if the cute little waveforms in Traktor are moving in conjunction with your hand.
    You will be put on trial in every turntablist forum on the planet as a treacherous scoundrel who practises the most unholy of deceptions against the dj community.
    And worst of all, you will have to argue with and explain yourself to, every fraudulent, duplicitous, mountebank DJ who ever owned a turntable.
    Does it work that good for scratching?

I tried it once but wasn't that impressed.

I'm rather looking for something with real platterns.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Guru

from what I hear the VCI 300 is much better for scratching than the VCI 100.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Quote Originally Posted by Abyrne7 View Post
    from what I hear the VCI 300 is much better for scratching than the VCI 100.
    +1, I have a VCI-300 and it works perfect for scratching. I am unfamiliar with the vci-100 so I have no reviews for comparison. You should be able to youtube some videos because there is a lot showing the capabilities.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Drimachus View Post

wow, just wow, did an scs3d assault someone you know or something?

I use 2 of these together with deckadance in ableton live, you will absolutely need bomes mt to scratch properly with them, the native speed of scratching on these is just not responsive, after adjusting the speed and reaction time of the scratch controls in bomes I've got it working really well.

No. Bad DJs! BAD DJs!

If you're gonna scratch PLEASE just use a turntable and a mixer!!! If not - use a VST by Image-Line called Gross Beat for your scratch sounds. Fruity Loops also has an amazing scratch effect called Fruity Scratcher. Use Fruity Loops as a VST in your host...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

...you will absolutely need bomes mt to scratch properly with them, the native speed of scratching on these is just not responsive...
    Anything you're doing in BMT to alter the CC messages used to scratch is downgrading what's coming off the platter - ESPECIALLY if you're using Deckadance. If you're suggesting otherwise, please tell us what magic upsampling technique you're using to make them MORE sensitive, and how you're managing NOT to overflow and crash Deckadance's MIDI buffer.

BTW Mike, Drimachus was being sarcastic. He's probably the biggest authority on using the SCS.3 controllers for scratching, and pulls off some amazing stuff.

No. Bad DJs! BAD DJs!
    How about you let individuals choose the tools they feel most comfortable with. You're on a controllerist forum here, and you're suggesting that users either (a) don't use a controller, or (b) use a ham-fisted plugin? Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    No. Bad DJs! BAD DJs!

If you're gonna scratch PLEASE just use a turntable and a mixer!!! If not - use a VST by Image-Line called Gross Beat for your scratch sounds. Fruity Loops also has an amazing scratch effect called Fruity Scratcher. Use Fruity Loops as a VST in your host...
    I cant see why that would be a problem to scratch using equipment other than turntables? These platters that are on the controllers like the VCI-100/300 and the Numark NS7 do the same but are designed on a smaller scale using sensors... there are plenty of professional DJ's that have gone from turntablism to controllerism and are able to perform just as well or better in scratching...

Quote Originally Posted by cullen61918
    there are plenty of professional DJ's that have gone from turntablism to controllerism and are able to perform just as well or better in scratching...
    No there aren't. What James Zabiela does is not scratching.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast