Tell the truth: Have you ever faked djing?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tell the truth: Have you ever faked djing?

Just the other day i was at this party, where a very known dj in my area was spinning, and going backstage i noticed a youtube tab open with a "2013 boom megamix" video playing. He was just pretending to mix on his ddj-t1, mashing buttons and rotating knobs like crazy. I'm not hating on him, because i don't know the whole story behind it, so here goes the question:

Now, my question is: honestly, have you ever been in a situation where, for a reason or another, you just weren't feeling like mixing? Say, a sleepless night before the gig, or a strong headache, or just one too many shots or glasses of wine and you feared the worst trainwreck humanly possible?

I can in all honesty say i never faked, except for loading 10min mixes to go to the toilet, or maybe twisting some knobs when drunken people came to the booth saying "can i do wiki wiki on the dj stuff oooh and how do you do that and what is that light over there and play levels"

How about you?
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

No. Absolutely not. You should call out that kat publicly! Ive used relay and cruise modes when going to get a drink, but to fake mixing or any other artform is the lowest of the low.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

I feel with the current state of djing every dj has an obligation to do their job. As it is a lot of people already think "everyone's a dj, it's so easy". Things like fake mixing only hurt dj's credibility. As you said before nothing wrong with throwing on a longer mix to run to the washroom, I've also ran a mix while I'm in the process of getting things setup.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    ... except for loading 10min mixes to go to the toilet...
    That is COMPLETELY acceptable from my point of view. Far better to be able to go to the toilet than having a bottle or some such in the booth. Also totally ok to have a channel empty to point drunkards to, had a trainwreck get created by a drunk girl once, not cool.

How about you?
    Dunno how much it counts, but I've played one or two pre-recorded mashups that I've made.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    No. Absolutely not. You should call out that kat publicly!
    sent you a pm
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    That is COMPLETELY acceptable from my point of view. Far better to be able to go to the toilet than having a bottle or some such in the booth. Also totally ok to have a channel empty to point drunkards to, had a trainwreck get created by a drunk girl once, not cool.
    Exactly.. Same thing happened to me but with a drunk dude who threatened to punch me if i didn't let him touch my gear. Needless to say, he ended up out of the club and i ended up with a bruise on the cheek. Tough job :P

Tech Wizard

As i'm not playing at gigs, i can't tell, but i have seen a few famous people faking at DJing. One of the ones i remember was a guy from a famous radio show in France (yeah i'm french ), that was completely faking. I hated him for that because i knew this guy was totally not a DJ, but he did like he was.
    I think that every situation is different !
    3 x CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Sennheiser HD 25 II, S-DJ05 Speakers
    Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 - Midi Fighter Spectra - Ableton Live 9

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post

Dunno how much it counts, but I've played one or two pre-recorded mashups that I've made.
    Nothing wrong with a pre recorded mash up. It frees up a deck for you and you still did the work. This would be like scratch dj's who make their own battle sentences and battle records. Claiming its your own mash up when you downloaded it from someone else is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanader View Post
    I think that every situation is different !
    Exactly, that's why i asked everybody here what's their opinion/what are their experiences on the matter

Tech Wizard

never faked it... like someone else said i left something to play during a restroom break... but i wasn't pretending that i was djing...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast