Buying a mixer as a beginner DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a mixer as a beginner DJ

So i'm this random guy who wanted to become a DJ since middle school; and here comes this day when i decide to start mixing, so I go to google search etc etc you know the start, and here i am in this shop , what should i buy

Piooner DDJ Wego
    Numarck Mixtrack Pro
    Hercules Instinct
    Hercules control air

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Check out CMD studio 4A. Should be out soon...

If you're going to invest money, research it, look at videos of people using those different controller and see what they like, what they don't. It's a very personal first choice. Don't only refer to what people will tell you here, I can tell you my opinion but what counts is the feeling you get when you touch it. Go try them in store, all of them.

Personally, I find the Wego a bit toy-ish, I like something that looks more professional (but that's my opinion). Also, think long-term, are you gonna buy a controller and then, in a month, realize you need a bigger/better one? That happened to me with my S2, 3 months later, not even, I bought the S4.

The Mixtrack Pro seems the best of them, but I haven't really touch any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

None of the above. You'll be very limited to improve. After a couple of weeks or months you'll be fed up because you can't move forward with those controllers. I think you should look into something between $500-1000.

If I were you I'd look into used equipment if you are trying to save money.
    Something like the Pioneer DDJ-S1 is a good start. The DDJ-Ergo should be the bare minimum (in my opinion). It doesn't have to be exactly those controllers but something similar. Just an example of what I think you should look at. I started with cheap stuff and I got bored fast.

I would probably recommend an S2, I know it's not listed but I got a Mixtrack Pro about a year ago and have always felt limited. Another good thing about NI stuff is if you decide it's not for you their resale price is still pretty good

Tech Guru

I'm yet to see someone who uses a controller in a way that a Mixtrack couldn't be used.

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    None of the above. You'll be very limited to improve. After a couple of weeks or months you'll be fed up because you can't move forward with those controllers. I think you should look into something between $500-1000.

If I were you I'd look into used equipment if you are trying to save money.
    Something like the Pioneer DDJ-S1 is a good start. The DDJ-Ergo should be the bare minimum (in my opinion). It doesn't have to be exactly those controllers but something similar. Just an example of what I think you should look at. I started with cheap stuff and I got bored fast.
    I agree, but.. i mean i'm from italy and that type of controlers costs like 600 €+, and Numark Pro for example is 100 €, it's a big difference, anyways i was thinking to buy the Numark to see how i'm doing if i'll enjoy mixing and etc., after that i'll definitely buy a better controler (I don't know if I am right, but it's better to pay 100 € now and then 600-1000 instead of 600-1000 and then if I don't get the mixing thing.. to put it in another room somewhere as a dust magnet. I will think about it.

Tech Mentor

Get mixtrack pro. If you use it with Traktor and get mapping happy with it then it can pretty much do anything you like. Maybe pick up a 2nd hand MTP and then you won't lose much money if you want to upgrade. It is a great machine.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Mixtrack pro (2) out of everything you mentioned.

Check out CMD studio 4A. Should be out soon...
    However this would be the best option IMHO.

None of the above. You'll be very limited to improve. After a couple of weeks or months you'll be fed up because you can't move forward with those controllers.
    I have yet to see a noob DJ "actually" learn enough to outgrow a controller in that short space of time unless you are some sort of prodigy.

GAS on the other hand is a different story altogether.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

That Mixtrack Pro 2 can go trough some serious beating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast