Gemini CDJ , yes or no?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gemini CDJ , yes or no?

What do you think?

Im upgrading my S2 + Midi Fighter setup to 2 CDJ's + 2 or 4 channel mixer

I was thinking, I can get 2 Gemini CDJ 700's and a Kontrol Z2 for 1400$ brand new, or get 2 Pioneer CDJ 850k's for 1600$ without a mixer...

Is it worth the extra $$ to go to the Pioneers? I don't really see why the Pioneer setup is 1000$ more than a great setup. The Gemini CDJ's even have touch screen on them! The only thing I wouldn't get is a sticker that says "Pioneer" on it, and rekordbox!

Thoughts ?
    Traktor Kontrol S2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Akai APC40 :: 17" Acer
    Check out our new "D.O.D - What Time?" Remix! : http://snd.sc/1bvF1xf

Tech Guru

If you get Pioneer, you really have to get the 900 or 2000. Only thing that really sets it apart from the Gemini IMO.

Tech Guru

I'm guessing you'll be using timecode since you mentioned the Z2? The 800 Mk2s will work fine for that.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

The CDJ-700s have great features like more latency than a controller, and worse durability/QC than an NI Kontroller. If you want to buy CDJs for the next year, the Geminis will work, marginally. If you want to buy CDJs for the next decade or so, the CDJ-850s/900s are the safe bet.

Additionally, dropping the Z2/Traktor and picking up a DJM-250/750, Xone:42, or DN-x1600 will get you some pretty solid standalone horsepower, with Rekordbox still proving to be easier to work with than Traktor's browser.

A pair of refurbished CDJ-850s and a DJM-250 is retarded cheap for the flexibility you're getting. Alternatively, if you care more about some effects power/linking rather than comfy screens, the XDJ-Aero/whatever the new unannounced thing is is a pretty solid option.
    Last edited by Shishdisma; 05-13-2013 at 08:37 PM.

You leave out the many bugs rekordbox has. Twice it has lost all the cue points I had set and sometimes it even loses tracks out playlists. Great for set preperation but horrible for music management imho.

That aside....

Avoid the 700's like the plague bruv. You are better off with a pair of 800's and the Z2 or a pair of used 850k's and a decent mixer. My mate bought a pair of 700's 6 weeks ago. They never leave his house. The effects went out on one and the touch screen has glitches on the other. They are rubbish as midi controllers as well.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Wow, that's the first bad review I've heard of the Geminis!

Is it possible they're lemons?

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    You leave out the many bugs rekordbox has. Twice it has lost all the cue points I had set and sometimes it even loses tracks out playlists. Great for set preperation but horrible for music management imho.
    File > Library > Backup/Restore.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Wow, that's the first bad review I've heard of the Geminis!

Is it possible they're lemons?
    The exact same probability of any Gemini product being a lemon, which is quite high. They're cheap for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    File > Library > Backup/Restore.
    I did this both times. Point is that it shouldnt happen.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I played on a Gemini CDJ once, it wasn't 700 but some lower model, but damn it was so bad it made me want to smash it on the ground and then set it on fire.
    I'd never buy the geminis, even less so because they look like a bad pio2000 ripoff.

I went into a local Audio store the other day to finally decide what CDJs i wanted and why i should spend extra for pioneer. Tried the CDJ 700s and were damn terrible, Tried 850s and 900s and was originally opting for 850s before going instore but turns out the 900s are just so much better and worth that extra buck in my opinion, quantised looping, link, screen, better rekordbox compatibility and i think i may be one of the few who likes the waveform with the needle better than the 850 waveform. Anyway, stay away from Geminis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast