Do you bring your own slipmats?

View Poll Results: Do you bring your own slipmats?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 80.00%
  • No

2 10.00%
  • Not relevant to my mixing style.

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you bring your own slipmats?

So I've been interested in this for awhile now. I know some people do, some people don't... I've always wondered.

I almost always bring my own slipmats... because that's what I've spent the time practicing on, and I've used some shit slipmats in the past and absolutely hated myself for it. I will say I don't always remember them, and I usually regret that decision.

For those of you who spin on vinyl (time-code or otherwise), do you bring your slipmats?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

DJ rule number 1: Always come prepared.

To every gig I bring my own headphones, slipmats, and needles.

I have cutom HellNegative slipmats with clear timecode rekkids so photographs always have my logo in them.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I hate playing off other peoples set ups generally, I just bought some butter rugs and I will take them everywhere now, so much better than your bog standard mats.

Often, even without any trick mixing involved. Mostly to avoid issues with overly slippery mats if I need to touch the labels somehow (and there's always someone to bump into you at that time too, go instawreck).

Banned

An odd sampling.... as I can't think of a single time I've noticed someone besides me replace the slipmats on a DJ changeover.
    And I bring my own to every gig.

Odd side note though, I learned on shitty slipmats, and now using good ones throws me off.

Tech Mentor

I always have a spare pair.

I do because I like and am used to the kind of slipmats I have (thin and slippery), but playing on unfamiliar slipmats is usually just fine. The problems come in when there are none at the venue. Years ago I had a dnb residency with a couple other guys and one of them only liked mixing on the rubber mats that came with the turntables (the ones most people throw away); it became kind of a pain because we were trading off every 20-30 minutes or so rather than playing full sets, and each time we switched we had to deal with switching the mats out too. Normally I'd just skip the switch under such circumstances but the rubber mats were way too challenging to mix on for me (and I presume he had the same feeling about the slipmats).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post

To every gig I bring my own headphones, slipmats, and needles.
    +1
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by djproben;618222 [B
    other guys and one of them only liked mixing on the rubber mats that came with the turntables[/B]
    How is it even possible to cue a track in with rubber slipmats ?
    Parts
    Technics 1210//CDJ400//DDM4000//X1//Audio 10//MBP 15" Mid 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JayRuss View Post
    How is it even possible to cue a track in with rubber slipmats ?
    I couldn't do it but the other guy could mix just fine with them. It just goes to show you can get used to whatever; I guess he started DJing on his own and didn't have anyone to tell him about slip mats so he just learned with rubber. But yeah I think it would be bad for the turntable motor after a while.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast