How get best sound quality/levels plugging a midi controller into spare mixer channel
    Tech Mentor

Default How get best sound quality/levels plugging a midi controller into spare mixer channel

Hey folks!! I am playing a garden party at the weekend with a big 1k sound rig. The gear onsite is CDJ-1000 mk IIs and an old DJM-600 mixer. I am Traktor all the way these days, and would want 900/2000s for HID to make it all easy, but as I no longer have my any timecode gear, so shall be using a midi controller with a single RCA out going into a spare channel on the DJM. My concern is about getting a decent sound with comparable volume to the direct inputs of the the CDJs from the controllers internal mixer.... I have had issues in the past doing this, I find when Traktor outputs through an external controller and then into a mixer it adds a FUCK load of bass and some treble. Volume is okish as the mixer has level meters, but it is quality (bass/mid/treble) that is my main concern and I was wondering if anyone has experience, even a set pattern of +/-'s for the low/mid/high on a pioneer mixer give to a 'baseline/neutral' output through the main mixers channel of the Traktor output when the controllers EQs are all set to '0'.......

I know the answer will really just be to sound check the fuck out of it in advance, but I thought I would ask for any advice or tips anyway in case someone has had the same issues and discovered a 'sweet spot' for the external mixer EQs!

Tech Guru

If you're below the clipping threshold, Traktor should give a fairly flat output through a decent sound card. I can't hear the slightest difference between using Traktor and my CDJs playing the same track.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Cool, and is that with you using a controller in internal mixer mode and with your controller's lo/mid/hi all centred to zero....?

The few times I've done it this way I'm sure its been a ton bassier at the same volume level when going through a mixer channel than a CDJ on a similar channel. I think it is just going to be a question of sound checking the hell out of it. Thanks for getting back.

I used to do the exact same thing before i picked up my own soundcard. Not much you can do really except get those levels spot on. I never had a problem with excess bass or anything tho.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Hmmmmm. may be worth getting a soundcard again (I've had and sold at least three as i can recall) just to do external mixer mode and not have to worry about levels so much. Here's a question. If I have it set to external mixer mode, will the effects banks and filters for each channel still work...???

Yep.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

I've never had to EQ my Traktor output before. What sound card are you using?

The NI cards put out plenty of volume (similar to CDJ levels) and seem to have comparable sound quality and flatness too.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I picked up a cheap DDJ T1 recently (although I think I'm going to sell it and get some CDJ-400s, as the new HID support looks fantastic), so all i have is the Pioneer controllers RCA stereo outputs going into a mixer channel which is my concern. I'm tempted to get a soundcard so I can just use the controller for deck control, and use the main mixer as the mixer not to have to worry about sound levels. Only just dipping my toe back in to the whole controller market, and rightly or wrongly (as I know many are on this site), I have a soft spot for pioneer and the layout of pioneer controlllers feels very familiar to me coming from a history of 800s/1000s. I've only used a 2000 twice (in HID), and i pretty much came in my pants immediately. Unfortunately neither the 2000s nor even the 900s are an option at the moment in this economy. I could just manage 400s however for home use....

Tech Mentor

The only thing I can add, is I was using a controller through a mixer and there was loads of bass so had to EQ it loads. Turns the person had plugged the controller in a phono input which had a pre amp.

Tech Mentor

ahhh, now thats a very solid point. Make sure is a line in channel or switched to line if is line/phono. Nice one Big P, the sort of detail that can get missed.