how to balance between open format and music your passionate for

Default how to balance between open format and music your passionate for

I need to spin popular music because it is what feeds me and gets me gigs. But I want to spin electro, progressive, and moombahton, but when I do spin these things my crowds just want top 40.

How do I build a different following approaching more of the EDM world? Which is the music that I am passionate about.

My name is Kenyi Succar by the way, here's a video of me DJing with a huge moombathon influenced mix I made

Any advice helps. THANKS!

Do your own night and play what you want, hire the DJ's that you like and build a following of people who get it.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by kenyisuccar View Post
    I need to spin popular music because it is what feeds me and gets me gigs. But I want to spin electro, progressive, and moombahton, but when I do spin these things my crowds just want top 40.

How do I build a different following approaching more of the EDM world? Which is the music that I am passionate about.

My name is Kenyi Succar by the way, here's a video of me DJing with a huge moombathon influenced mix I made

Any advice helps. THANKS!
    start producing Top40/electro mashups or start finding those bootlegs.

Tech Mentor

Get in contact with your local or nearby electro people. Show them mixes etc
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by P4ULSON View Post
    start producing Top40/electro mashups or start finding those bootlegs.
    wow man that's true, atleast to start off... when poeple produce mashups, do they get the actual vst files of the original song or just instrumental or acapella? I always wondered.. cause i here remixes where they keep some instruments and take out some other instruments...

Quote Originally Posted by Dohjo View Post
    Get in contact with your local or nearby electro people. Show them mixes etc
    it's so hard to find those poeple... i can only find poeple online like this... all my friends like top 40, sometimes i wish i lived in holland lol
    Last edited by padi_04; 05-16-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Do your own night and play what you want, hire the DJ's that you like and build a following of people who get it.
    This

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I need to spin popular music because it is what feeds me and gets me gigs.
    Do that on some nights. Get paid, buy nice things.

But I want to spin electro, progressive, and moombahton, but when I do spin these things my crowds just want top 40.
    Do this on the other nights and gratify your artistic urges.

That's what I do. The 2 things are never mutually exclusive IF you do both of them well.

Tech Mentor

In my opinion, the key to happiness as a DJ is choosing the right gigs in the first place.

You can also add me to the group of people who started their own night when there was nowhere for me to play