Noobie question - When to start playing second song - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I didn't learn that way. I use the wav forms as I would any other tool.

I have 20 years experience on 1200s and CDJs...far from a beginner...
    That's the key difference

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

It comes with years of practice and love for music you mix. Then you can simply feel when is the right spot to play next track, it's like your finger does it before you think of it

I'm not sh*ting ya!

I think your tracks automatically snap onto the beat grid despite where you hit play, I'm not too familiar with VDJ but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, is there a way to switch this off? That might help.
    CHECK OUT MY MIXES! - MIXCRATE - SOUNDCLOUD

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    It comes with years of practice and love for music you mix. Then you can simply feel when is the right spot to play next track, it's like your finger does it before you think of it

I'm not sh*ting ya!
    Words of wisdom.
    Also, it's music not a maths test
    Last edited by Jester; 05-16-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post

I'm not sh*ting ya!
    Wise words, had a discussion about EQ'ing and the other week and it's the same really, non DJ's look on and have no idea what you are doing but it becomes instinctual.
    Same as mixing a record. Personally it is instinct and years of training your ear and sense of rhythm and timing that allows you to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    because that's how you never stop being a beginner
    can we let him be a beginner first?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    can we let him be a beginner first?
    Being a beginner is one of the best things about mixing, and then when things start to kick in and you get a feel for it, it feels pretty awesome :-)

I'm not sure where I sit on the reading waveforms side of things. It can be useful, but make sure it doesn't become a crutch. I tend use them a lot when I am setting cue points in traktor, but don't tend to play a huge amount of attention to them in a live situation. I am aware of them, but don't rely on them. It's kinda like looking at a piece of vinyl.... You can see where the loud and quiet areas of the track are going to be, which is useful for finding drops and breakdowns etc, but liked said before, don't overly rely on them.

That's just my view on it, and no doubt someone else will be along to add their 2c as well. There is no strict rule.... Find what works for you and have fun!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Quote Originally Posted by baller95 View Post
    I think your tracks automatically snap onto the beat grid despite where you hit play, I'm not too familiar with VDJ but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, is there a way to switch this off? That might help.
    sounds like you're talking about quantize/sync?
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

there's no such thing in vdj (at least in 7) unless you sync a track that's already playing, then it syncs the tempo and snaps to grid

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123