Noobie question - When to start playing second song
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Noobie question - When to start playing second song

    So I just got a mixer today, and the thing I've been having trouble with is starting the second song at the right spot. I am using Virtual DJ and I know when I want the beat drop to happen, I know when I want to mix in the second song, but I don't know when to start it to get it to drop at the right part. Is there a way I can tell when I need to start a song? Is there a way that virtual DJ displays 8 bar phrases? That would be extremely helpful. For example say I want to put the beat drop on the second song that is loaded (and not playing), but sometimes I start the second song 4 counts too early, so when the first song (the one that is playing) is building up the second song has already dropped.

  2. #2
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    It will come with practice. You can do it by subtracking the amount of lead time on the second record from the end of the first record. Say your intro is two minutes long on the second record. You subtract two minutes from the end of the first record and start it then. (of course listening to when there is natural place around that time to start the second record is paramount...this is what is called phrasing and song structure.)

    After some time you will be able to read the wav forms and recognized how much of what you have left on a track. (breakdown, meat, outro) I'm able to read the grooves on a record and recognize how the song is structured. It all comes with time and practice.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

  3. #3
    Tech Guru deevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D
    Posts
    3,673

    Default

    You could cheat and either Start the intros and Drops on cue points or "beatjump" forwards and backwards x bars depending how your phrase is off ..

    As keithace said though really just practice and practice to do this without cheating. Know your songs inside out to find the natural mix points that almost every track has.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor robbyluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    326

    Default

    The only way is by learning your music. So a lot of practicing, listening, and memorizing.

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor matrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South East, UK
    Posts
    117

    Default

    a good rule of thumb that helped me when learning was to start the next track (the one your mixing in) at around 1m30s remaining for house/electro and around 2m for techno. it will vary from song to song but your ears will tell you exactly when the phrases change.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru johney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    The only way is by learning your music. So a lot of practicing, listening, and memorizing.
    that

  7. #7
    Tech Guru dripstep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    my house in the great white north.
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    Learn your music inside and out. Resist the urge to go out and buy/DL as much music as possible. Instead, find 10-15 tracks that you really like, that go well together, and learn those. You should be able to hear the intro ending, hear it end, hear when the breakdown is coming, when a drop etc are supposed to happen, before they happen. Only when you know your music, will you know when to drop your next track.

    There is no set rule, you can drop a track and cut over right away, you can drop it and let the outro play through the next tracks intro, play half of one track over the next, there's many ways to do it.

    Don't try and confine yourself to just one way of bringing the next track in, you will end up uninspired, and you will get bored quick. Experiment with your tunes.

    What kind of music are you trying to mix?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor djmetalgear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    It will come with practice. You can do it by subtracking the amount of lead time on the second record from the end of the first record. Say your intro is two minutes long on the second record. You subtract two minutes from the end of the first record and start it then. (of course listening to when there is natural place around that time to start the second record is paramount...this is what is called phrasing and song structure.)

    After some time you will be able to read the wav forms and recognized how much of what you have left on a track. (breakdown, meat, outro) I'm able to read the grooves on a record and recognize how the song is structured. It all comes with time and practice.
    i feel like this advice is actually flawed. you shouldn't be reading wave forms. you should be learning song structure. its not hard. american and most eastern european song structures fall in 4ths 8ths 16ths and 32nd bars. learn your songs and its not a problem. you should be able to drop a song without looking at wave forms. Of course its great to learn with them, but dont rely on them forever.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

  9. #9
    Tech Guru antifmradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ NYC
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    i feel like this advice is actually flawed. you shouldn't be reading wave forms. you should be learning song structure. its not hard. american and most eastern european song structures fall in 4ths 8ths 16ths and 32nd bars. learn your songs and its not a problem. you should be able to drop a song without looking at wave forms. Of course its great to learn with them, but dont rely on them forever.
    i agree
    every genre of music has a pattern. between songs it doesnt change that much
    If you stay focused on that particular type of music for a bit, youll get it.
    The human brain works best with patters. its why we stare at semetrical things longer
    and random shapes lesser time. When it comes to our ears, they tell our brains whats going on. so the bottom line is
    just listen, carefully

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Know your music and respect the phrasing of the songs ! Very important you get that idea !
    3 x CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Sennheiser HD 25 II, S-DJ05 Speakers
    Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 - Midi Fighter Spectra - Ableton Live 9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •