Mac Mini - Good Alternative to Mac Book Pro? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tech Mentor

sorry to sound like a idiot, im not really that up with all the computer tech..

why would you need extra pci slots?/ what would you use them for.

i understand why extra ssds is a good idea.
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Guru

Me personally would be either Raid cards, or capture cards for video, Red Rockets etc, extra GFX card for Cuda.

audio, Sound cards or UADs

DJ nothing really, maybe extra USB 3 ports or RAID if you have a lot of files

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
    Me personally would be either Raid cards, or capture cards for video, Red Rockets etc, extra GFX card for Cuda.

audio, Sound cards or UADs

DJ nothing really, maybe extra USB 3 ports or RAID if you have a lot of files
    RAID???

would i need pci slots for running abelton as my main DAW?
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

You realize how much those things cost, right? When the alternative is using a real motherboard and case that cost about $400 total.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea. I'm just saying that Apple needs to resurrect the "Mac". Not the Mac Pro, the Mac...a desktop tower than has real slots and bays but isn't workstation hardware that actually matches the "insanely overpriced" criticisms that everyone levies against their entire product line.

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    RAID???

would i need pci slots for running abelton as my main DAW?
    You wouldn't, unless you wanted to run PCIe based DSP or audio interfaces.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm not saying that's a bad idea. I'm just saying that Apple needs to resurrect the "Mac". Not the Mac Pro, the Mac...a desktop tower than has real slots and bays but isn't workstation hardware that actually matches the "insanely overpriced" criticisms that everyone levies against their entire product line.
    What is this witchcraft you speak of ? ...

Sure there was Powermac towers, but were in the same league as the current Mac Pro's and priced similarly in comparison to the Mac/PC's of today.

I for one don't see a need for something in that if their current lineup fills the requirements of 90% of the people out there. No Point in diluting the waters with a user-fuck-up-able machine IMHO when the Mac Pro fills the gap, be that at a higher price than some can stomach.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You realize how much those things cost, right? When the alternative is using a real motherboard and case that cost about $400 total.

You wouldn't, unless you wanted to run PCIe based DSP or audio interfaces.
    Just saying its a viable solution for Macminis and iMacs, not sure what you mean by comparable motherboards unless you mean hackingtosh's?

I mean motherboads/processors that benchmark where Apple would want them.

The Mac Mini (and to a lesser extent iMac)'s designs are the reason I'm no longer 100% Apple at home.

Almost no one can use an 8-core Xenon. Lots of people can use PCIe slots and drive bays.

And, I'm sorry, but if you think that having the option to install hardware means that it's going to make the computer less stable, then you must really suck at computers. That type of thing is not that complicated.
    Last edited by mostapha; 05-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

And, I'm sorry, but if you think that having the option to install hardware means that it's going to make the computer less stable, then you must really suck at computers. That type of thing is not that complicated.
    Its not complicated if thats the kinda thing you are into, but I think you give too much credit to the vast majority of non-pro computer users (with the exception of gamers who are unlikely to be buying them anyhow).

For almost every prosumer application there's already USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt solution instead of opening up the case to access PCIe or Drive Bays - lets be fair, apples stance on this is "do not open the case".

I just see too small a market in creating a machine of low enough spec that will not chip away at their pro line.

Less for the end user to Fuck up, Less calls to Apple Support = More money to Apple saved dealing with shitty issues, for every 15 minutes not on the phone trying to explain to someone they installed something unsupported its a $3 saving.

At the end of the day its all about the $

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123