IS 100 Watts For A PA SYSTEM Sufficiant

Default IS 100 Watts For A PA SYSTEM Sufficiant

I'm currently looking becoming a Mobile/Pub/Wedding DJ and over the last year have been putting together some gear consisting of Pioneer CDJ 200's, DJM 400 Mixer, Moonflower lights, lasers, smoke machine, and portable deck stand with T bar for the lights. On one of the online store had the Peavey Audio Performer pack PA System which is rated at 100 watts RMS and I'm wondering if it will be loud enough for Pub Dj'ing, and Wedding, according to my father who used to play in a band, think it's sufficient, but I'd like to find out some more info as I'm a newbie when it comes to PA Systems...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peavey-APP-A...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It won't be loud. And if it will be, it will have prominent, distorted midrange and no bass or HF at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Guru

Those little 50W speakers won't put out much volume.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Enough for atmospheric, not even remotely for dancing and you can forget about outdoors stuff.

I would say minimum for what you want to do would be 700-1000 watts. Even then you will want to add a subwoofer ASAP.
    If you are on a budget, some Mackie Thumps would be a good option. They are 400 watts each.

Also watts isn't the best indicator of loudness, SPL is better. For example, the Mackie Thumps are 400w with a max SPL of 116db. The speakers I use are 350w with a max SPL of 127db. So my speakers, using 50w less than the Thumps, will put out 11db more.

SPL= sound pressure level
    db = decibels

They're 50W RMS, not peak like most PA gear, with an SPL of 109, so they're not terrible.

But even so, they're RIDICULOUSLY overpriced for what they are.

Just get a pair of these, or even the QR10As: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/40048...f13=80&ff14=63

True that even with 10 watts and good, sensitive speakers you can fill a room with sound. But that's mainly audiophiliqc territory, so you really should be considering more powerful options. Get some cheap speakers that can sustain at least 3-400w, and later on build yourself a sub with cheap plywood or mdf and a cheap 15" driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Will they be able to get the job done in pubs/small venues when just starting out, I know I'll definitely need a bigger system when moving on to larger venues or outdoor parties...

Tech Guru

They are too weak to DJ with in pubs and small venues IMO.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Will keep the Peavey for monitoring, but think I'm going to purchase some mackie thumps, anyone know if they'll be able to perform in most venues as I've found a good deal on them on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-Stock-Ma...item2c6d67e7e5