Come on be honest ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Come on be honest ...

...... how many of you go out and just put a track on and hope for the best... live for the challenge ?

I love it, probably why i'm no proffesional DJ. I just love to put something on and see what i can do. I guess what i'm saying is quite often when i pick a track i have no idea if its gonna work or not.

How many others do this ... i think its excitin ... and the feeling you get when somethin works is frikkin brilliant.

can anyone relate ???

Maybe i'm stoopid and this was a stoopid thing to say but I'm buzzin after just havin a wikid session on the decks, i've only just really dicovered fader fx, never really used it before.

Anyway i just wondered as i often go out and see djs and think "well that didnt really work that well or surely that wasnt planned" so are alot of us doing this and getting away with it even the pros?

any thoughts ?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

haha well when i practice i do this all the time i find it fun and interesting just having a song going then selecting a random song (but a song that is in that style or genre) and see how i can pull off a cool creative mix and yeah when you pull it off you feel awesome
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Tech Guru

depends the situation.. if i'm at home experimenting than it's pretty much a requirement to get any work done, trial and error. How else would people do it?

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Yeah I do this all the time when practicing at home, but I have to be pretty in the zone to consider doing something Ive never done before to a crowd.

But thats more with technique, rather than my song selection

This is a fundamental process of DJ'ing of course you're always going to have mini sets all sorted out, you know a selection of tunes and how they mix together but you never know what the crowd response will be and you need to be playing to them, so you're always gonna be mixing two completely random tunes together, there was one nite that I had just rolled out a solid Jump Up/Jungle set but needed to darken things up for the massive so i dropped Evol Intents "Call to Arms" over top of Aphrodite's Jungle Brother remix and

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

PARTY ON!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    ...... how many of you go out and just put a track on and hope for the best... live for the challenge ?

I love it, probably why i'm no proffesional DJ. I just love to put something on and see what i can do. I guess what i'm saying is quite often when i pick a track i have no idea if its gonna work or not.

Anyway i just wondered as i often go out and see djs and think "well that didnt really work that well or surely that wasnt planned" so are alot of us doing this and getting away with it even the pros?

any thoughts ?

awww yes.. living dangerously .. it can make or break you ... and most successful people don't do it cause .... odds are .. you are going to clear some floors. And well the lucky ones ... they are "genius" .. hahahaha

most important thing is to be unconcsious in the operation of your system. Know your functions and and methods... so when you get into the zone ... the zone is WIDE OPEN
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by audiomontana View Post
    awww yes.. living dangerously .. it can make or break you ... and most successful people don't do it cause .... odds are .. you are going to clear some floors. And well the lucky ones ... they are "genius" .. hahahaha

most important thing is to be unconcsious in the operation of your system. Know your functions and and methods... so when you get into the zone ... the zone is WIDE OPEN

I like this guy..!

when it comes down to more than 2 hours gigs i always depend on my creativity in the songselection....well and sometimes i´m way to creative and i cleared the floor
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

mmmm....I choose all my traxc before hand.

And make sure i have too many.

I am lucky to know what the crowd expects of me here.....so i give it to them.
    But not all THEIR fav's.....all of MINE!

But I won't put on a track willy nilly......unless i planned on taking that route.

Sometimes.....towards the end of my set,.....and its a really messy party....lots of wasteds....i will chuck on something REAL crazy just for the nutty effect....but thats about it.

I am pretty surgical (anal) about my sets and sound.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post

But I won't put on a track willy nilly.......
    I will.

Especially after numerous drinks.

99 times out of 100 it lifts the roof off and works.
    1 time in 100 it clears the floor.

I can live with that . You gotta trust your own judgement and your feel for the crowd on the night. If its your regular gig you should know your crowd well and what you can and cant get away with to varying degrees of success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast