Just starting out...

Default Just starting out...

Hello! I listen to a lot of electronica (house, trance, electropop, grave wave), and I got the idea to start mixing myself. I think I'd want to stay closer to the electropop genre (artists like Grimes, Purity Ring, Crystal Castles for example). I have no idea where to start! I have a PC and I was wondering if there was any good software out there, and I was also wondering if there were any additional tools I'd have to use. Thanks!
    -G

Quote Originally Posted by gillum View Post
    Hello! I listen to a lot of electronica (house, trance, electropop, grave wave), and I got the idea to start mixing myself. I think I'd want to stay closer to the electropop genre (artists like Grimes, Purity Ring, Crystal Castles for example). I have no idea where to start! I have a PC and I was wondering if there was any good software out there, and I was also wondering if there were any additional tools I'd have to use. Thanks!
    -G
    it actually would be a good idea to open a beginner's topic, since I haven't really found one so far, and I'd have some similar questions as well.

No good software, most of it sucks or is buggy. Try and find the music you like on vinyl, or record it to cassette, cut the tape up and make mixes like that. Not a lot of information on this forum though, but you already knew that because you searched/ read the topics here.
    Last edited by dripstep; 05-19-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Guru

i see what you did there.

Tech Mentor

Really think there should be "Just starting out" Forum section. Would probably help a lot of people starting as the search function isn't the easiest to use. Decent place to hold all these similar threads.

In answer to your question: download VDJ home. It is free. Have a play, see if you like it and off you go. Or buy a cheap controller that comes with LE versions of software and have a play around and see what you think

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    No good software, most of it sucks or is buggy. Try and find the music you like on vinyl, or record it to cassette, cut the tape up and make mixes like that. Not a lot of information on this forum though, but you already knew that because you searched/ read the topics here.
    For a moment you almost got me
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by gillum View Post
    -G
    Start out using some easy to use software. Mixxx is good for starters since it doesn't lack that many features, and most of all it's free.

Next up i'd suggest getting a controller, something like an used mixtrack pro 1.

You said you listen to a lot of music, and you're also pretty set on the genre you want to spin, so you're in a much better position than someone who just "wants to start djing" without having a clue about the music they will be playing.

Other than that, learn your tracks well, and try to get creative with transitions, read some posts on crowd psychology and how to structure a set, and you should be good to go
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.