BentoSan's Ableton Smart Mixer Setup Issues (Crosstalk?) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

BTW: I havent tried this out yet, but some people are claiming that with TP 1.2 there is now a better way to sync with Ableton: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=92628
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Thanks Bento, I am more informed on that now. Ive been fooling with a 'hardware' version of smart mixing in short sessions. -- using my drum compressor rack. 10 harware compressors.
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    BTW: I havent tried this out yet, but some people are claiming that with TP 1.2 there is now a better way to sync with Ableton: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=92628
    Yes, but that's for syncing the MIDI clock, which is good for some things, but not quite in-context with the smart mixing, unless you're trying to do some wacky key-based tempo-gating like audiomontana, but even then, it doesn't seem he's using MIDI clock syncing, just basic audio.

I've been considering activating MIDI sync between Traktor Pro and Ableton, but I was just going to do it the route mentioned on the blog in that one post about syncing Traktor 3 and Ableton, and maybe play with what the folks on the NI forums are discussing (I noticed the nice MIDI clock output thing in Traktor a while ago, but haven't touched it, for lack of need) if the Traktor 3 MIDI-sync method didn't do the trick...but there's still no reason for me to do MIDI sync with Ableton, since I don't know anything about setting up virtual racks in Ableton anyway, meaning I wouldn't even know what to do with a MIDI-sync if I had it. And I only have 2GB of RAM, which is entirely used-up when I have Traktor, Jack, and Ableton running, alongside my MAYA44 control panel and my mix-recording setup (Audio Hijack Pro -- it turns out I don't need to uninstall Soundflower to use Jack! Hooray for me!). I have no room for messing with MIDI sync and more effects racks right now. ;_;
    Last edited by DJ ATP; 09-10-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATP View Post
    Yes, but that's for syncing the MIDI clock, which is good for some things, but not quite in-context with the smart mixing, unless you're trying to do some wacky key-based tempo-gating like audiomontana, but even then, it doesn't seem he's using MIDI clock syncing, just basic audio. I've been considering activating MIDI sync between Traktor Pro and Ableton, but I was just going to do it the route mentioned on the blog in that one post about syncing Traktor 3 and Ableton, and maybe play with what the folks on the NI forums are discussing if that didn't do the trick...but there's still no reason for me to do MIDI sync with Ableton, since I don't know anything about setting up virtual racks in Ableton anyway. and I only have 2GB of RAM, which is entirely in-use when I have Traktor, Jack, and Ableton running, alongside my MAYA44 control panel and my mix-recording setup. I have no room for messing with MIDI sync and more effects racks right now. ;_;
    If you were to sync ableton to traktor in this instance(with smart mixing) you could run sends a and b to the seperate stereo aux channels in ableton for each smart mixing channel .. respectively. Then use the tempo to drive the delay and other sync enabled effects. You would then output each aux post fader to the same output stream as the channel it is effecting. You could then enable the send volumes on a midi fader for each channel.(next to the other smart mixing controls)
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

I finally got it setup correctly and functioning correctly!!

Been re-reading the forums to find info onhow it is to be used, now that i have figured out what it does etc.

This has been a help...thanks Bento!

I still have not got it down 100% yet tho.

All i think is wrong is how i am using it.

Like....when I engage the compression on deck B. I do this before i start fading.
    Do I adjust the Low Compression knob at any time?....or do i leave it pre set unless it NEEDS to be changed?

Also, I like to mix using the volume faders and not the X Fader. Can I still mix this way?

I usually leave the X Fader in the middle and jam the Volume Faders and Bass EQ.
    Can I still mix like that and just use the Compression On|Off instead of cutting and boosting the Bass EQ?

I follow your steps on the previous pages Bento....but we use differant mixing styles.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the differant ways you could use the smartmixer?

Cheers mate......i have my geek mates DROOLING over the routing of this thang!

Last edited by sarasin; 09-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Also, If i wanted to be able to have EQ's for each channel (Low, Mid and High), for the sake of being able to cut them individually....could i just add an EQ 3 in Live and midi map it to the 6 free knobs on the VCI, seeing as its no longer used for Traktor?

Cheers!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123