I'm right about to buy two QSC K12s...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I'm right about to buy two QSC K12s...

So I'm going to buy these today, got an awesome deal from proaudiostar, and I just wanted to ask a quick couple questions before I go ahead with this.

I realize I won't have a massive amount of low-end off of these, and I won't be able to afford a sub for a while. For bigger events there will be subs available and I can make that work out. But for house parties/events I put on myself or for my friends, there most likely will not be a sub available.

Will these be enough for moderate to large house parties? I play pretty bass heavy music, and I'd rather not spend a bunch of money I saved up for really underwhelming sound.

I notice these have a "Deep Mode", or setting used for when you do not have an external sub. I can't imagine they would provide this option if these speakers are useless in the bass department to begin with, I just have no way to listen to these beforehand and want to get an idea of how much bass I'm actually going to get. As for their sound signature versus other models in their bracket I'm really not too concerned about, from what I've heard about them I think I will be satisfied.

So, in a medium sized room, at a probably pretty loud house party (anywhere between 30, all the way up to a big party of maybe 150 people) will these provide enough low end? I know this is all very subjective, but I really don't know who else to ask really.

Tech Mentor

You'll be set. I love my K-12s and I use them to play small-to-medium sized parties all the time. They are perfect for my 1100 square foot garage. You won't be blowing the place apart, but they know how to bass.

I really don't understand specs very well, or the difference between Response and Range. But the sepcs for these say they go down to 48hz... Does that mean, anything below that point is very quiet? completely inaudible? Or what? Because a lot of deep bass notes hit below that (some of the sweetest ones too!)/

I actually kinda disagree. K12s are great speakers but they will be light on the sub bass compared to any slightly cheaper speaker setup with a sub. If you play bass heavy music you're definitely going to notice....

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I actually kinda disagree. K12s are great speakers but they will be light on the sub bass compared to any slightly cheaper speaker setup with a sub. If you play bass heavy music you're definitely going to notice....
    So, I was also looking at the new EV ZLXs. at about 400 each,, maybe slightly less. that leaves me with 550 to spend on a sub, give or take. Can I even get a respectable powered 18" for that much? Assuming i want to spend no more than 1350, which is what i gutting out for the k12s.

call up zzounds.com and they'll get you a better deal and do a free payment plan on the sub. BOOM!
    Beatslicing for the bitches

better than 1350 for brand mew k12s no tax free shipping?

dunno about a payment plan, no idea what my fonancial situation is gonna look like in the next 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by grandlethal View Post
    So, I was also looking at the new EV ZLXs. at about 400 each,, maybe slightly less. that leaves me with 550 to spend on a sub, give or take. Can I even get a respectable powered 18" for that much? Assuming i want to spend no more than 1350, which is what i gutting out for the k12s.
    I don't know, haven't shopped for speakers recently. I'm sure you can get a sub for a little bit more and or you can shop used. I've owned QSC setups before and while they are great I would definitely go the ZLX or similar route with a sub over just QSC tops.

also look at RCF
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 05-15-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Tech Guru

if you need a sub and tops package on a budget for the EV ELX line. 12 inch tops and sub comes to about 1550.00

I've read mixed reviews on the ZLX. Honestly they are too new to really consider them a safe purchase and I doubt they were meant to compete with the QSC K series.

K-12's are the standard. I think with two tops you could throw a decent indoor house party, but if money is tight I'd go the ELX route. For the extra 200 bucks you'll get a much more complete system.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

There is no substitute for a subwoofer. Not even a 15" full-range can reproduce low bass frequencies properly.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast