Big changes on my setup, need help!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Big changes on my setup, need help!

Hey guys! (tl;dr at the end)

It's been almost two years that I've been rocking with my S4 and my 2006 Macbook White.

Yeah, the 2006 Macbook never let me down live on my gigs (yeah, it locked down or bugged only on my bedroom). I'm switching for a i5 MB pro. And no, don't even start arguing that MB is overpriced or something like that. I use windows on my desktop studio and I want something fast, stable, and MIDI friendly for gigs (the main reason that I'll go with MacOs).

And I'm selling my beloved S4. After outdoors, bars, big clubs, festivals, rainy gigs I started to hate the S4. It's a wonderful piece of hardware, but it's too bulky for me. I just hate doing gigs with a travel bag and my backpack. I want something smaller, modular. I don't even use the effects and jogwheel anymore.

I'm still arguing if I should buy a soundcard for Traktor. Is HID reliable enough?

So, I'm selling my S4 and switching to a more compact setup. I was thinking about getting a Midi Fighter to play along with my iPad. And also a mixer to mix at home, some midi enabled maybe? I'm totally open for any ideas or suggestions.

tl:dr ppl: I'm switching my setup for a more compact and modular one. I'm thinking on getting a mixer for bedroom mixing. Should I buy a soundcard? Which controller is compact and good enough? I already got an iPad.

Tech Guru

Whether or not you should buy a sound card for your mixer depends on whether or not the mixer has a sound card.

Tech Mentor

For a controller, I really like the Kontrol X1 and they are very much modular and compact.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Whether or not you should buy a sound card for your mixer depends on whether or not the mixer has a sound card.
    I think it doesnt depends on my mixer and mostly on the gigs that I attend to. Sometimes they do have cdj 900 or 2000. Sometimes every dj of the night use my S4 to mix on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortango View Post
    For a controller, I really like the Kontrol X1 and they are very much modular and compact.
    I thought of a X1 too. But I want some bigger buttons to smash songs together.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by chicomodo View Post
    I think it doesnt depends on my mixer and mostly on the gigs that I attend to. Sometimes they do have cdj 900 or 2000. Sometimes every dj of the night use my S4 to mix on to.

I thought of a X1 too. But I want some bigger buttons to smash songs together.
    Honestly if you want a full working and compact modular setup then the X1 + Soundcard is the best thing.

and on the Button front, after about 2 weeks of use, you know exactly were each button is, there big enough.

I dont even look down at the unit anymore!

one thing i couldnt live with is my X1
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

+ 1 for the Kontrol x1 . Best investment yet, compact, light and covers all my basic needs.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

I know a lot of DJs locally who use HID mode with Traktor.

That being said, it's always good to have what you plan on playing out on... at home. I will always be a big proponent of that methodology.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

I have an X1 that i use with serato but its a great piece of hardware.

I just recently stopped using it at home since i picked up a midi programmable mixer but i sill use it for gigs.

Tech Wizard

I see a trend here. Kontrol X1 FTW.

Any ideas for a good n cheap 4 channel mixer?

Tech Mentor

DDM 4000 gets thrown around a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast