New MBP, should I buy the one with the Retina screen?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default New MBP, should I buy the one with the Retina screen?

I'll buy the machine primarily for DJing, but it will also be used browsing, reading mail, Photoshop and Indesign. My question is simply if I should buy the MBP with Retina, or without. Will it make any difference at all when using Tractor?

Do you use MacBook Pro for DJ? Do you have the Retina option?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djfreesoul View Post
    I'll buy the machine primarily for DJing, but it will also be used browsing, reading mail, Photoshop and Indesign. My question is simply if I should buy the MBP with Retina, or without. Will it make any difference at all when using Tractor?

Do you use MacBook Pro for DJ? Do you have the Retina option?
    Save 600 bucks and buy an Ultra book.. hah

And if you are unsure if a high resolution screen is going to make a difference with a software application, you most likely dont need it. Its just a screen bro..

no its a waste of money. Would rather spend that 600 on upgrading the ram or HDD of the MBP

do you have good eyes? Traktor text might dam small on the retina display.
    I have an 15" Macbook pro (no retina) and it's perfect for Traktor
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

You won't notice any improvement with Traktor, or many of the other music software packages, like Ableton Live. In fact, you may even notice a slight reduction in image quality as these applications haven't been optimized for the retina resolution yet. So, if anything, things will look a bit blurry.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much. When you're using a retina-ready app and go to something like Traktor, it's pretty obvious, but then you forget about it pretty quickly. Especially for something like DJing, and you're standing back from the screen quite a bit, you won't notice it at all.

If I were you, just go for the retina display. Other computer companies are starting to do their own version of "retina displays," so it's definitely future-proofing yourself.
    Macbook Pro
    Traktor Pro 2 | Kontrol S2 | LPD8
    Ableton Live | Ableton Push

NOOOOOOOO, less USB ports, no CD drive I wouldn't touch it. Get the older model = less money, more functionality.

The unibody pro only has 2 usb ports as well. I didn't give a rip about losing a cd drive. I can share the one plugged into my mini, or throw it into my bag for that rare occasion (read: never) that I might want to play a cd when I'm not home.

If the non-retina optimized apps bother you, the resolution can be scaled from the display settings. It taxes the system a little bit more, but not enough that you'll ever notice.

FWIW, I had a 2010 macbook pro with 8 gigs of a RAM and a Seagate Momentus XT prior to my upgrade and didn't notice a dramatic difference in speed/load times. Cost after my upgrades was ~1300 +, and my retina was 1600 with the 256gb drive. So 300 bucks for the panel and the SSD, which I personally found to be worth it. Others may not.

Just remember you lose the ability for upgrades, so what you purchase is what you get. There are some 3rd party options for an SSD out there, but are expensive (not like it's much cheaper from Apple).
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'm going to assume you mean the 13' retina at which stage I'd say YES 100% the retina is well worth while in the 13' model... especially for Photoshop, Traktor or Ableton.

If its the 15' model, its really up to you as the screen has plenty of pixels anyhow and you can upgrade a lil bit yourself.

less USB ports
    The 13' has the same number of usb ports.

However factor in there will be some Macbook revisions shortly, probably in July which may make the older non-retina models obsolete.

Tech Guru

I really don't get why people can't make their own decision on what laptop to buy...

All of the new laptops will be able to run any DJ/Production software easily...

As far as lack of CD drive... who actually uses CDs anymore?

Tech Mentor

ppl who use cdjs?
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast