VCI-400 & Kontrol X1

Default VCI-400 & Kontrol X1

Hey guys.

I've currently bought a standard VCI-400, I'm fully aware it's a fully customizable piece of kit, however, I'm wanting to purchase a Kontrol X1.

I love the effective functionality the X1 provides, I played around with my mate's one time.

I've never used a VCI-400 & am fully excited to get my hands dirty.

My questions now are...

Is it worth getting the X1?
    Using the VCI-400 alongside the X1... Opinions & thoughts?

Thanks in advance people!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

It's always nice to have the extra knobs and stuff but I wouldn't buy anything until you get your new controller and spend some time with it. X1's mapping is nothing out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    It's always nice to have the extra knobs and stuff but I wouldn't buy anything until you get your new controller and spend some time with it. X1's mapping is nothing out of this world.
    Duly noted. Thanks for the input.

In regards to the VCI-400 being used alongside the X1, what are your personal thoughts on the combination?

Quote Originally Posted by FUYolo View Post
    Duly noted. Thanks for the input.

In regards to the VCI-400 being used alongside the X1, what are your personal thoughts on the combination?
    Hi, I'm new to this forum but wanted to share my experience....I've been using the X1 with a traditional set up (xone 92 +CDJs) for years and recently got a VCI 400...and I think it's brilliant, yes it has a few flaws, like the pitch adjustment, the jogwheels not brilliant for pitch bending but overall I'm very satisfied. I considered the DDJ SX as well but decided to go for the VCI 400 because 1) I'm a traktor user and don't really want to use Serato DJ (I tried and didn't really like it but that's a personal thing) 2) the versitality of the controller, you can imagine that NI can come up with many new ideas in the software and this controller will always be able to adapt, or any other software for that matter. 3) The quality is great and will last.

Regarding your specific question I don't think you need an X1 if you have a VCI 400, no point, the VCI has all the controls of the X1 and many more...but I guess it's up to you if you want to use your VCI to do other things or really like the layout of the X1

Tech Guru

The VCI 400 and DDJ SX are both Serato controllers, and both can easily be used in Traktor too.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

I'd say it depends on your playstyle. If you're only using two decks, you might as well map the FX 3 and 4 knobs to Deck C&D and instantly cover 90% of the X1's standard features. The VCI-400 standard mapping even has some unused controls, so you can easily find some space. However, if you take a club gig every now and then, the X1 might come handy as you can easily leave your VCI-400 at home and just bring your laptop + the X1 and use the club's CDJs.
    After all, I can just tell you this: examine your playstyle and only buy gear that you really need. It's better to wait and use your existing gear until you're annoyed by its lack of possibilites, else you'll end up buying useless gear for your shelves.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The VCI 400 and DDJ SX are both Serato controllers, and both can easily be used in Traktor too.
    Is it the viper mapping? I've heard about that a few times. Is it really that simple to go with the DDJ-SX and Traktor?