Specific Needs for Dj Controller
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Specific Needs for Dj Controller

Hey all, I want to buy a traktor controller (Haven't tried Serato, I don't know, maybe I would use it too)

Around 400-500euro

I dont mind 2 or 4 decks
    Dedicated Filter,Gain,Low,Mid,High
    Cue points,some fx, channel strip leds (for red peaking)
    Professional soundcard 24-bit/192KHz
    Balanced output (XLR pref,)
    Standalone mixer function
    Good looking and good feeling (metal construction?)

Sry for spelling

Thank you, I need your opinion

Banned

You just did the best job at this I think I've ever seen on this forum.

But what is your gigging life like? Are you established or are you breaking in? Club scene, raves, festivals, bar gigs?

Assuming you're a club DJ, I think you definitely want a hardware mixer and an external soundcard, not an all-in-one controller. That way you have good build quality at home, and you're used to using a standard mixer, so you can just use the provided mixer (probably a DJM-900) at your gigs.

The build quality you get for your money on a hardware mixer is MILES beyond what you'd get in a controller, mixing externally is always clearly preferable, and you said yourself you need it to act as a standalone mixer.

So I'd suggest a cheap hardware mixer, the best soundcard you can get for the price, and two of these for control: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CMD-PL-1.aspx

behringer also has this cheap mixer that costs about 150 euro: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DJX750.aspx

So between the two PL-1's and the mixer, you'd be at about 350 euro, leaving 150 for the best sound card you can find.
    Last edited by octostout; 05-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Tech Guru

An external mixer is definitely the way to go if you want decent VU meters.

Pretty much every feature on your list is covered by a decent hardware mixer, whereas you'd struggle to find everything in a MIDI controller. Maybe the DDJ-SX?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

You should check out CMD-PL 1 which should be out soon. I have one and absolutely love it!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by octostout View Post
    You just did the best job at this I think I've ever seen on this forum.

But what is your gigging life like? Are you established or are you breaking in? Club scene, raves, festivals, bar gigs?

Assuming you're a club DJ, I think you definitely want a hardware mixer and an external soundcard, not an all-in-one controller. That way you have good build quality at home, and you're used to using a standard mixer, so you can just use the provided mixer (probably a DJM-900) at your gigs.

The build quality you get for your money on a hardware mixer is MILES beyond what you'd get in a controller, mixing externally is always clearly preferable, and you said yourself you need it to act as a standalone mixer.

So I'd suggest a cheap hardware mixer, the best soundcard you can get for the price, and two of these for control: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CMD-PL-1.aspx

behringer also has this cheap mixer that costs about 150 euro: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DJX750.aspx

So between the two PL-1's and the mixer, you'd be at about 350 euro, leaving 150 for the best sound card you can find.
    Hey thank you , I am breaking in and confused,

So You suggest mixing externally and bringing to the gig only my laptop, soundcard, and 2x cmd pl-1, and connect to the club mixer (or my home mixer).
    Question:1.What kind of soundcard do I need for this?
    2.About connection? How I do it? Laptop--usb-->soundcard-->jack---pl-1--->mixer Confused here
    3.cmd-pl1 not out yet release date? Alternative to use in modular set-up?

Thank you

24/192 is going to be virtually impossible to find in an all-in-one controller tbh... if you can settle for 24/96, then the Reloop Jockey 3 Remix should tick all of your boxes nicely

For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Looks like the Jockey has no channel VU meters, and I'm guessing no dedicated filters for standalone mode.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Banned

I don't think I've seen that Reloop thing before... Even for a cheap all-in-one, the design on that is GOD awful... I wouldn't wish that thing on an enemy...

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Looks like the Jockey has no channel VU meters, and I'm guessing no dedicated filters for standalone mode.
    I'm not 100% on the filter, but if I remember rightly from the J3ME, the VU meters work in a similar fashion to the FSM mixers (ie, when PFL is enabled on a single channel, the VU meter displays that channel only). Personally I just use Traktor's per-channel VU meters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by octostout View Post
    I don't think I've seen that Reloop thing before... Even for a cheap all-in-one, the design on that is GOD awful... I wouldn't wish that thing on an enemy...
    How so? :O Everything's layed out perfectly for Traktor...
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

The review last month by Phil Morse seems to suggest otherwise on the VU meters, and that they can only be used for the Master output. Traktor's meters are pretty useless for balancing gains.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast