DJ AM style mashups
    Tech Guru

Default DJ AM style mashups

Hey guys, ever since the death of AM i've been looking at more and more of his video's. His sets that him and Jazzy Jeff do together are sick. Anyways since reading the articles about how to be a successful DJ I've kind of settled on Jazzy Jeff and AM as the two DJs i'm emulating. I've been trying to replicate their style of sets but am having difficulty. My flow is a little bit of scratching of the next song then i quickly cut into it and kill the lows on the current track. It's missing that anticipation of recognizing the incoming sounds of the next song. I feel like i'm missing something in my work flow. Maybe i'm not Eqing properly. Can anyone here offer some insights.

Tech Guru

figure out the other djs who do the style your interested in, and listen to their mixes and really pay attention. Then apply what you learned to your practice sessions. You have to practice lots bro, there isn't anything we can tell you that will help you as much as hard work and practice will help you.

I recommend checking out Z-Trip, Dj Numark, Dj Food, DK, and DJ P - to name a few of the guys who do the "mash-up" technique. Oh and just so you don't get ragged on by geezers, the proper term for the technique is "blend". Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBHE...layer_embedded

Tech Guru

that stuff is awesome, after watching this last night I spent about 2 hours watching videos and playing around with it in traktor, its super fun.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

love the part where dude is telling the guy off about record co.'s

awesome
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I'm also trying to get into mashup djing. Only problem is I hardly know any hip hop so it's pretty hard...
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Quote Originally Posted by misha_val View Post
    I'm also trying to get into mashup djing. Only problem is I hardly know any hip hop so it's pretty hard...
    well you didn't know any music from the style you mix/listen to now until you explored it, right?

there are a lot of threads asking for hip hop suggestions (i'm sure you've seen at least one of them) that have good answers in them. dig and dig deeeep
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition