Upgrading from MP3!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Upgrading from MP3!

Hey all! I have decided to stop buying MP3's and go strictly lossless in my music files.

My question for you all is should I go WAV or AIFF? I know WAV is the standard in like 9/10 applications, but DJ'ing on a Mac I've heard that AIFF is better. I buy from mainly BeatPort and Traxsource both of which sell WAV's, but only BeatPort sells AIFF's which makes me lean toward WAV's again.

Also, when you upgrade your BeatPort buys you can only get AIFF's. If I decided to go with WAV's, what is a good free/cheap batch file converter for AIFF-->WAV for Macs? And if I chose to go AIFF will the same application do WAV-->AIFF?

Thanks in advance!!!

Tech Guru

If you want to use lossless for DJing just because you think it's better quality, don't. There won't be any noticeable difference when you play out, it'll just take more space.

Just wondering, is lossless more expensive? I've never bought a track which wasn't 320kbps.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Only benefit I know of is that AIFF supports tagging, other than that they are pretty much the same.

You can use iTunes, Finder (select a bunch of files, right click, encode selected elements) or make a simple script with automator, no need to buy anything.

@DISaS73R yes, prices vary between sites but you pay a bit more per track when you buy lossless.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Only benefit I know of is that AIFF supports tagging, other than that they are pretty much the same.

You can use iTunes, Finder (select a bunch of files, right click, encode selected elements) or make a simple script with automator, no need to buy anything.
    What do you mean by tagging? I have WAVs that have artist and all that tagged on, what else wouldn't there be?

Cheers for the finder tip. TIL.

Do those tags carry over correctly to other programs? (Traktor, Serato, iTunes, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Do those tags carry over correctly to other programs? (Traktor, Serato, iTunes, etc)
    Indeed they do!

Well, lucky you then . I know there is no standardisation over WAV tagging so they tend to be problematic in this aspect, other than that you should be good with any of them.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Hey all! I have decided to stop buying MP3's and go strictly lossless in my music files.

My question for you all is should I go WAV or AIFF? I know WAV is the standard in like 9/10 applications, but DJ'ing on a Mac I've heard that AIFF is better. I buy from mainly BeatPort and Traxsource both of which sell WAV's, but only BeatPort sells AIFF's which makes me lean toward WAV's again.

Also, when you upgrade your BeatPort buys you can only get AIFF's. If I decided to go with WAV's, what is a good free/cheap batch file converter for AIFF-->WAV for Macs? And if I chose to go AIFF will the same application do WAV-->AIFF?

Thanks in advance!!!
    IF i even buy from beatport anymore (Record Pools are the only way to go I think) I get Lossless wavs, and then convert to FLAC for tagging compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    IF i even buy from beatport anymore (Record Pools are the only way to go I think) I get Lossless wavs, and then convert to FLAC for tagging compatibility.
    So AIFF's would be similar then as they have tagging?

yup, FLAC is compressed lossless tho.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast