How should I combine the S4 and the X1
    Tech Student

Default How should I combine the S4 and the X1

I own the Traktor S4 controller and the X1 controller. The problem is that I can't make up my mind how I should combine these two.

Questions like:
    - Should I dedicate one controller on FX?
    - Should I go for easy controllable 4 deck setup?
    - Etc.

What I would like to know is what other people's experiences are with these two controllers and what they think about how to setup/combine these two.

I hope this post is in the correct section and I look forward to your opinions.

Thank you.

A friend of mine borrowed me his S4 for some weeks. I set the X1 in the Controller Manager for Deck C+D and used it for full deck controll on these. The volumes, EQs etc. were controlled by the S4, so i just used it as a kind of expansion to controll all decks at the same time and it was pretty fun^^ Try it out!
    DJing: Traktor Pro 2 | NI Audio 8 | NI X1 | Pioneer DJM 250 | Technics SL-1200 MK2 | Mashine Mikro MK2
    Sound: Fame 5080AM Monitors | 2x DIY Speaker | Technics RP-DJ1210 Headphones

Tech Student

Didn't you map some FX to the S4/X1 to make them easy accesible? I'm thinking to do something like this and map these on my X1 and may be some more FX.

But I'm gonna try the 4 deck setup we'll see.

More suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Using the x1 as a way to be able to control all 4 decks at the same time is the best idea in my opinion.

Tech Guru

It really depends on how you mix. I'm not much into 4 deck mixing. I use decks 3 and 4 more for samples then for playing songs. When I used to use my S4 I believe I had my X1 set up for using the other 2 FX decks that you can't control, to shoot off samples, and for a bunch of combo fx that I had mapped to different knobs, there were some other random things I had mapped that I can't remember. Tailor your mapping to your own needs......that's the beauty of it

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Yeah, probably the best use would be controlling decks C and D and FX units 3 and 4. But don't forget that you still have X1 MIDI mode available where you can map some additional stuff like EQ kills, filters, loop recorder, key adjust, beatjumps or what ever suits best to your workflow.

Tech Guru

Soft takeover doesn't work when switching to and from MIDI mode on the X1, which limits the amount of mapping you can do with the pots.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I use the S4 and X1 for my 3-4 deck minimal sets. It's a good pairing.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye