Which laptop is better for Traktor Pro 2.6.1...i3/6GB or i5/4GB?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Which laptop is better for Traktor Pro 2.6.1...i3/6GB or i5/4GB?

If want to run Traktor Pro 2.6.1 with just doing 2 decks which laptop configuration would be better for me as far as speed, power, and low latency assuming that the RAM on both machines are not upgradeable.

A 3rd Gen i3-3227U with 6GB RAM or 3rd Gen i5-3337U with 4GB RAM?

Would the extra 2GB RAM with the i3 offset the power of the i5 or i5 would be a much powerful machine even with just 4GB?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Get the i5.

I assume there is an SSD if its a non-upgradeable laptop which should offset the extra 2gb of ram.

Tech Guru

Both computers have enough power to handle Traktor.

Are you sure the RAM is not upgradeable? Unbalanced numbers like 6GB suggest that there are 2 RAM slots in the machine.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Both computers have enough power to handle Traktor.

Are you sure the RAM is not upgradeable? Unbalanced numbers like 6GB suggest that there are 2 RAM slots in the machine.
    Well the i3 laptop is upgradeable to max of 8GB, but the i5 (a Lenovo ultrabook) is not technically upgradeable (you would need toactually take off the whole back of computer to get to the RAM module and this would also void the warranty).

But from a stand point of doing no other upgrade and just using what is available on both comps, which one would be the preferred one where..i3/6GB or i5/4GB?

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Get the i5.

I assume there is an SSD if its a non-upgradeable laptop which should offset the extra 2gb of ram.
    Yes it comes with a 24GB SSD Cache along with a 500GB hard drive. So then 4GB should be plenty and really no need for additional RAM given the i5 and SSD and if I"m just going to be doing simple mixing and maybe adding a portable drive to USB ports, etc.

I just tested traktor sp 2.6 on two surface pros (1 running i5 4gb of ram and the other running nvidi quadcore with 2gb of ram) Both worked amazingly well at 6ms with 4 decks and 6 fx banks running. I did have to up the latency to utilize the remix decks tho.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

The U-SKU Intel line is generally underclocked for better heat/power consumption. I would avoid them personally, I have a C2D U-SKU and without overclocking it would be a whopping 1.3GHZ. Also for future reference, the i3/i5 line are mostly identical except the i5 has turbo boost (I can't remember if the new i3s have virtualization or not, but it's probably a non-factor for a DJ laptop). Most stuff comes with an i5 though anyway, unless it's bargain bin pricing, so I guess it just depends on what you're looking at. In the above case, I'd avoid both.

Ram is the LEAST important statistic on a PC these days. It's one of the cheapest components, and therefore OEMs typically stick WAY more than you need in just to make the specs sound more impressive. Anything over 1GB is fine.

The i5 is 2.7Ghz, the i3 is 1.9Ghz. It's a no-brainer.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

I agree that ram is the cheapest and often easiest thing to upgrade. "Anything over 1 GB" being fine is not accurate. I've tested more laptops with Traktor than I care to think about and none of them use less than 1GB. Unless you are going to strip out the OS (which is I recommend) their shipped state often requires more than 1.5GB, check my s4 sticky and the optimization articles on the blog.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    I agree that ram is the cheapest and often easiest thing to upgrade. "Anything over 1 GB" being fine is not accurate. I've tested more laptops with Traktor than I care to think about and none of them use less than 1GB. Unless you are going to strip out the OS (which is I recommend) their shipped state often requires more than 1.5GB, check my s4 sticky and the optimization articles on the blog.
    On a system with less than 1GB of RAM, Windows 7/8 will use less than 100mb of RAM. the 900-odd you're left with is plenty to run Traktor with a full 4 deck setup, all 4 effects units, even remix decks.

People often under-estimate memory management on Windows.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast