The Audiophile Thread

Default The Audiophile Thread

As suggested by a couple of members, instead of derailing threads all over the forum, let's have a dedicated thread to discuss all of the esoteric high-end beliefs and data we have about sound.
    From hardware, to software, to sound science itself
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

(this post is intentionally left blank)
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

I'll start by linking a test between 16/44.1 and 24/196

http://www.audiostream.com/content/d...x-dsd-128x-dsd

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...126#post474126

Decent discussion on mp3 vs wav. the page i've linked actually has a link to a blind test that was set up by forum member Mostapha.

Long story short..... you cant tell the difference.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I'll start by linking a test between 16/44.1 and 24/196

http://www.audiostream.com/content/d...x-dsd-128x-dsd
    what a load of crap

No blind ABX testing, just subjective nonsense and confirmation bias. 24/192 makes zero sense as a format and the human ear cant even hear the difference, and it is actually an inferior fidelity to 16/44. read here for some actual science: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

It's easy to convince yourself you "hear the difference" between 24/96, 24/192, and all those other formats when you look at the file label. I would hardly call that a test.

audiophiles and really everyone who deals with sound should watch this:

funny side note- Ethan Winer actually got permabanned from gearslutz after that video came out since he pissed the site owner off and rustled so many people's jimmies over there.

Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-09-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    jesus what a load of crap

No blind ABX testing, just subjective nonsense and confirmation bias. 24/192 makes zero sense as a format and the human ear cant even hear the difference, and it is actually an inferior fidelity to 16/44. read here for some actual science: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

It's easy to convince yourself you "hear the difference" between 24/96, 24/192, and all those other formats when you look at the file label. I would hardly call that a test.

audiophiles and really everyone who deals with sound should watch this:

funny side note- Ethan Winer actually got permabanned from gearslutz after that video came out since he pissed the site owner off and rustled so many people's jimmies over there.

Yeah it was the first article that came to hand, i do realize it's full of psychobullcrap.

The video you linked is a very good watch.
    BUT
    while i honestly cannot tell the difference between 24/96 and 24/192, i CAN hear the difference and i can identify two sources, one 16/44.1 and the other either 24/96 or 24/192) in a blind ABX test.

If i remember correctly, the guy in the video talks about a "vinyl demagnetizer" at some point.
    It actually makes sense as a device. TT needles are subsceptible to magnetic fields, because they are metallic. The paint that is used in vinyl contains iron, making it ferromagnetic too. Overtime a record can accumulate a little magnetic charge that is uneven accross the record itself, at some points repulsing, at some points attracting the needle.
    While i have never heard the effects a vinyl demagnetizer has, and i am sure they are minute, i do believe an extremely good friend (who by the way is one of the most prestigious manufacturers of turntables and tonearms in the world) who conducted an abx test with 2 records, sometimes faking to have demagnetized them, sometimes doing it, and almost everyone in the room agreed that there was a difference. They weren't able to quantify it tho, so no record sounded "better" than its magnetized counterpart, but they got the difference right 100% of the time.

You a 'slut too?

Yeah I am on gearslutz but I don't really browse or post there much anymore unless it's for something really specific- way too many absolute morons and trolls to make it really worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Yeah I am on gearslutz but I don't really browse or post there much anymore unless it's for something really specific- way too many absolute morons and trolls to make it really worthwhile.
    Agreed, even tho this forum is slowly but steadily filling up with them, too..