Audio --> DMX
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Audio --> DMX

  1. #1

    Default Audio --> DMX

    Hey all! So I am looking for a piece hardware that will more less take an audio signal and make it into a DMX signal.

    I'm pretty new at lighting so if you have any questions about my situation I'm looking to fill, just go ahead and ask and I'll answer as best I can!

    That's all today!

    Cheers,
    Prof

    discuss

  2. #2
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    We use Compu Cue hooked up to a laptop.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

  3. #3
    Tech Guru jakeintox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    816

    Default

    You can control DMX with Virtual DJ.

    I think your answer will be in software, as opposed to a hardware solution.

    Maybe something like this?

    http://www.dmxis.com/

    Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

    facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    We use Compu Cue hooked up to a laptop.
    What software would I use to translate audio into DMX?

    Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    You can control DMX with Virtual DJ.

    I think your answer will be in software, as opposed to a hardware solution.

    Maybe something like this?

    http://www.dmxis.com/
    Will is take audio in and output DMX?

  5. #5
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    It came with software called compu live.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

  6. #6
    Tech Guru robdquick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    590

    Default

    What exactly are you trying to do with the DMX?? DMX is a protocol for controlling lighting fixtures, you can't exactly convert an audio signal into DMX.

    If you just want your lights to move on the beat, then there are a few programs out there that will do it. I use freestyler, which has a built in audio to cue software.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

    2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    It came with software called compu live.
    The site isn't very specific will it take audio sources..?

    Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do with the DMX?? DMX is a protocol for controlling lighting fixtures, you can't exactly convert an audio signal into DMX.

    If you just want your lights to move on the beat, then there are a few programs out there that will do it. I use freestyler, which has a built in audio to cue software.

    Yes I am aware of what DMX does. Basically, I frequent two venues that have very low level lighting and I'm looking for an easy, high speed, low drag way of just adding some audio sync'd lighting.

    So just looking at the Freestyler site it looks pretty close to what I want! With that one I just need the software on a Windows machine with a USB to DMX box, then I just run my audio in to it somehow?

  8. #8
    Tech Guru robdquick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    590

    Default

    There is no easy way of adding audio sync'd lighting, unless you use all of the fixtures in sound active mode.

    DMX programming is not a quick and easy job... You'll have to find fixture profiles for every light you want to control, then program in each step of every light. It's time consuming, but if you know exactly what you want to do you can create some fantastic light shows!!

    You would also have to check that each light you want to control are DMX daisy-chained to each other, and you would have to know the addresses of each fixture. Then just run a DMX cable from a USB To DMX box to the first fixture, plug an out from the mixer (record/booth/any other free output) into the line in/mic jack on the laptop, and set up the sound2light thing in freestyler (can't remember exactly what its called).
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

    2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    You would also have to check that each light you want to control are DMX daisy-chained to each other, and you would have to know the addresses of each fixture. Then just run a DMX cable from a USB To DMX box to the first fixture, plug an out from the mixer (record/booth/any other free output) into the line in/mic jack on the laptop, and set up the sound2light thing in freestyler (can't remember exactly what its called).
    Well that doesn't seem too bad other than it is Windows only, and I'm lacking the ability to buy another laptop right now.

    I just found this Cuelux Software here and it seems pretty interesting. Someone with a bit more DMX know how, could you tell me a bit about what I could do with this + a BCF-2000 or preferably if it has audio sync?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •