timeslot conundrum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default timeslot conundrum

hey guys, so i have a dilemma here with a booking i got. ok so i have djed at this club before but at a later time then the latest timeslot ive gotten this time, which is 9-10. now ive been at the club at that time and there is hardly anyone there (if anyone really) now i know how the different timeslots are for different vibes/genres/feels whatever, but this isnt a time for the music i spin, now if this were you would you just say f it and play what you want, or go with the flow of the night (opening set being a little chiller) just wanted to ask and get some info that maybe i have not thought of before. thanks!!!

Tech Mentor

Depends what level you're at. If you value the gig and want to play again don't ever say "fuck it".

1. Make the effort to get as many people as you can down to watch you play - this will go down well with the promoter.

2. Don't just play what you want to play, the important thing is you're warming up the crowd, yourself and also the PA (which many people forget). You can damage a sound system by going straight from cold into some high volume, fast beats.

3. Remember for most promoters they're bread and butter is bar tab, so you have to balance between getting people dancing but not making the night peak too soon and consequently the bar spend suffers.

4. Don't instantly turn the volume up to 11. Leave some headroom for the later DJ's to play with.

Warm up is the hardest slot to play in the night - most people are sober and are tentative. Even if the place is "practically empty" there are still a few people there who you don't want to risk scaring off. Keep it appropriate to the venue, the night and the timeslot.

Tech Convert

thanks man, you do make some very interesting points there, i just found this news out and was disappointed with it. just kinda frustrated here, just moved to a new city and trying to get this music career off the ground, and realizing how much politics plays a part in it.... ooh well thats my ramble for now
    but thanks again man, i guess you are right with it being the hardest time, just kinda challenges me a little more and have to adapt (now kinda looking forward to it haha)

Just go for it man. Some of the best sets were openers and not the main acts.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

yeah i know what you mean, its a 2 room club and i am in the smaller room opening up but gotta take every opportunity i can get

That and (probably) the fact that people have to pass the smaller room to get to the bigger one?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Beg all of your friends to be there when you get there. Buy them drinks, and play what they want to hear.

And play to the crowd. With enough forethought you'll kick ass.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Sooooooo true!

And don't kick yourself because no one's dancing. People are just funny about that early on. You'll think you suck, no one's dancing, I hate this gig, blah blah, and then later you'll hear, wow, that opening DJ was great. Naturally the first thing you'll think is THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DANCE? The answer's sadly easy: cuz they hadn't been drinking enough yet.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Quote Originally Posted by bit_thief View Post
    thanks man, you do make some very interesting points there, i just found this news out and was disappointed with it. just kinda frustrated here, just moved to a new city and trying to get this music career off the ground, and realizing how much politics plays a part in it.... ooh well thats my ramble for now
    but thanks again man, i guess you are right with it being the hardest time, just kinda challenges me a little more and have to adapt (now kinda looking forward to it haha)
    If you just moved there you have to keep in mind there are a lot of other DJ's who have paid their dues in that city for a longer time than you . I'm not saying you haven't worked hard to get where your at but I'm sure there are just other DJ's who have been DJing a lot longer in that city than you have been . Just go play the gig hang out and make some connections . You could also see if they could get some sort of super cheap or open bar type drink special from like 9-10 or 11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast