iTunes / Traktor track management query
    Tech Mentor

Default iTunes / Traktor track management query

Okay,

So it looks like I need to do something about my file management here. I have around 6,000 tracks, and am purchasing somewhere between 20-50 tracks per week at the moment. So my collection is growing pretty quickly. Coupled with me ripping my vinyl collection (another 6,000 - 7,000 tracks there), and it is going to get pretty unmanageable pretty quickly.

So up until now, I have been VERY lax in my attitude towards this. Basically I download my files into folders, and name them by the month / year I download them. i.e. 06 June 14 would be a folder name. I then run the tunes through mp3tag and extend the tags, before running them through keyfinder to detect the key.

Then I send back them up onto my server, over my home network.

Now I do all this on my multi-purpose laptop.

Then, if I want to play the tracks, I have to transfer them over my network to my Music PC, and analyse them into Traktor.

So, I want a better system for doing this. Ideally I would like to do everything on my laptop, downloading, tagging, keying, analysing, creating playlists etc... Then simply update my libraries on both my Music and Server PC's, before deleting them on my laptop.

I don't play music on the server PC, although it is capable of doing so, but it is just for backing everything up.

But, I would like to run the same management on all systems if possible (all running windows 7).

So I was thinking iTunes MAY be the way to go (although I do really hate the program), as that seems to be what most people are using.

So, is there any reasonable way to achieve what I'm wanting? Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

I'm looking into something similar to this right now myself. I'm not *quite* there yet, but I've had some really good help from guys on this forum that I'm sure will chime in shortly.

Papo is THE MAN when it comes to iTunes!

It sounds to me like you want to do all of the prepping on your multi-purpose laptop, and then transfer the files to a separate drive. Maybe you could store all of your music files, and your iTunes Library AND your Traktor Collection on that separate drive?
    Last edited by Patch; 06-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Yeah, that would be fine. Can I access all my files, on Traktor, through my network though? i.e. Everything is stored on the server, and I simply stream them as I need them? I guess I could map the server as a network drive or something?

My network is pretty stable so that's doable. However, I do like the idea of keeping 2 identical libraries, one on the server, and one on the music pc, but do all the processing and management from my laptop. Then firing it all off to the separate PC's, and deleting the laptop, keeping it free and clear.

Complicated stuff, lol.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

I have an external drive that I use for all my music.

I create a backup every time I update it using a second external drive and software called FreeFileSync.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj