Really stuck with this WIP [drum & bass]

Default Really stuck with this WIP [drum & bass]

Really stuck with this track, can't decide on what to add or change.
    Arrangement etc. isn't final still very WIP

http://vocaroo.com/i/s07vV5v6KTE2

EDIT: maybe vocaroo isn't really ideal for this, it sounds a bit weird

Tech Mentor

I'd layer a high passed break under the drums to give it more groove. Layer and EQ the kick and snare so they pop harder and sit at the top of the mix. Can also probably be done with more EQ and compression. Maybe ducking the kick to the b-line will create More groove. I'd filter the bass more. It feels like its robbing all the headroom. Some bleeps or a 2 note musical element would be nice. Listen to some older techno for inspiration. It's got a nice foundation. Keep at it.

^Yeah thanks

I tried to make a bleepy synth sound yesterday somewhat like this:
    but I couldn't really get it right But good call on the techno, I'll look into it.

I could get some sidechained compression going but the drums pop out more than vocaroo makes it seem, I think they make it 192kbps or something.

What exactly did you have in mind when you said to add a underlaying break ?
    I was thinking of adding other percussive elements but couldn't decide on what, congas maybe ?

As you can tell I've got quite a bit of writers block.

i'd boost the highs a bit and add a stereoizer or plugin of the sort to a highpassed duplicate of the track with just the highs
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    i'd boost the highs a bit and add a stereoizer or plugin of the sort to a highpassed duplicate of the track with just the highs
    Oh but it's far from finished, I'm not happy with it by far, a bit too early to think about mastering
    I 'm figuring out what to add in the high end of the mix to make it more lively

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Oh but it's far from finished, I'm not happy with it by far, a bit too early to think about mastering
    I 'm figuring out what to add in the high end of the mix to make it more lively
    His comment was nothing about mastering dude. Its a general comment saying get your mids and highs louder. Majority of your song is in the low end. Good rhythm tho! Just a simple synth to add to the background for motion would help your song.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    ^Yeah thanks

I tried to make a bleepy synth sound yesterday somewhat like this:
    but I couldn't really get it right But good call on the techno, I'll look into it.

I could get some sidechained compression going but the drums pop out more than vocaroo makes it seem, I think they make it 192kbps or something.

What exactly did you have in mind when you said to add a underlaying break ?
    I was thinking of adding other percussive elements but couldn't decide on what, congas maybe ?

As you can tell I've got quite a bit of writers block.
    Take a sampled breakbeat, like the Think, for example. Loop it underneath your main drums to fill space and add rhythm. Pretty much any Calibre tune is a good example. Or, check out a tutorial on "ghost snares." There are a ton of little tricks. Shakers with swing added is great. If you're going to make it minimal, you need to eq the hell out the drum hits so they sit on top of the mix and stand out. Either style works IMO.

get a soundcloud