Reusing samples, synths, in production - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Man, in my opinion is totally ok to save your settings and if it fits into a new production you should just go for it. This is just not for sythns settings, this could be applyed for equing, panning, and also you can have a common masterizing template and then you fine tune for that track. It just saves time and this is why producers can come up with new tracks so fast. Certain settings, synth sounds, drumm rolls, drop styles just help you to create your own sound. I love when I hear a track and I just can tell who is the producer because of its characterisitic sound or style. Specially when you can see how they can apply their own sound with different variations and in creative ways.

You can have many examples but if you are talking about sythns just take Deadmau5, the side chain compression of the synth and the style of them is almost the same in most of his tracks. He shows lots of creativity though.

Yeah, I hope my replies haven't made it sound like you should never reuse your synth patch. Segfault is right; some artists are defined by a certain sound. For example, Jack Beats has that signature wobble sound that's different from other fidget/dubstep/bassline wobble, and he reuses it all the time. It's what defines him.

You can find many ways to make each of your tracks sound original, and the synth sound is not the only way.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    ...help you to create your own sound. I love when I hear a track and I just can tell who is the producer because of its characterisitic sound or style. Specially when you can see how they can apply their own sound with different variations and in creative ways.
    I think that also is a huge problem with EDM. There are very few cases where artists/producers have a signature sound. It's not like you can hear a song you've never heard before and automatically be able to identify who made it. Granted, there are some instances where you can tell. Even though this is a lame example, I think a lot of Daft Punk songs have a real definite sound and feel to them, and I'm not just talking about the use of a talkbox or vocoder.

I think a lot of it too is because producers don't generally stick with consistent vocalists. And even if they do, the vocals often times are so heavily layered with effects that it's nearly impossible to tell anyway.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12