Titles and Services Explained
    Tech Mentor

Default Titles and Services Explained

Can some one tell me exactly how a booking agent works, and how are record labels and DJing firms supposed to benefit an individual?

I understand that a booking agent is supposed to get you gigs, but how, and what kind of compensation should they expect?
    I understand that record labels release your music for you, but what else can they offer besides a bolstered paycheck and more fans?
    I understand that a DJing firm unites local DJs under one name to horde business, but what else can they do?

well yes a booking agent calls a place and says that you will be playing there. and yes a label is meant to make you look cool and only that.

Tech Mentor

A proper agent or label will do most of your legwork so you don't have to and you can concentrate working on music.

An agent gets gis by already having all the connections needed to get you real gigs. Depending on the agency they either charge an agency fee or a percentage of the booking. They'll handle contract, travel, rider negotiations for the artist.

A record label has a distriubutor who will get your tracks to all the stores. So you don't have to have individual contracts with every store on earth. They will (hopefully) market your tracks and get your tracks in the hands of bigger DJs and blogs.

These people basically do all the work that you wouldn't want to do yourself.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    A proper agent or label will do most of your legwork so you don't have to and you can concentrate working on music.

An agent gets gis by already having all the connections needed to get you real gigs. Depending on the agency they either charge an agency fee or a percentage of the booking. They'll handle contract, travel, rider negotiations for the artist.

A record label has a distriubutor who will get your tracks to all the stores. So you don't have to have individual contracts with every store on earth. They will (hopefully) market your tracks and get your tracks in the hands of bigger DJs and blogs.

These people basically do all the work that you wouldn't want to do yourself.
    Thanks!