"seasoned" equipment

View Poll Results: So what gear do you like mixing on?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give me fresh, new stuff ALL THE TIME.

3 18.75%
  • Old and Ghetto. If it's not smokin' it's not workin.

1 6.25%
  • The Veteran that can tell stories and teach you a few things.

8 50.00%
  • What were you thinking about posting this stupid thread?

4 25.00%

Default "seasoned" equipment

Do you guys enjoy using "seasoned" gear that has been warned in, or do you enjoy mixing on factory fresh equipment?

I know it sounds weird. But the other day I noticed the paint on the crossfader knob on my vci-100 has warn down to the plastic. To me that tells It's been used and loved. The same thing is true about a ghetto sl-1200mk2 I've used once years ago. I remember it had an empty hole in place of the stylus lamp, the power switch cover was missing revealing the 4 red strobe leds, the paint was scratched and faded, and the pitch fader knob was wrapped electrical tape. But despite all of the shortcomings it just felt right. I remember the pitch was still true, tracking was fine, and the fader was silky smooth. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for one of my 1200s, but i thought it was amazing.

Now do you love "breaking in" gear, or keeping it fresh?
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

man, i have some stories about old, used and abused dj gear, I prefer it over new gear. I could share some stories over a few pints.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

lol you should see my oxygen. one of the keys is bent upright... works fine but looks fucked ahhaha

This was the mixer that we were using in Bali, looks like its been though some wars !

One of the faders had given up on us but other than that it worked surprisingly well considering the salt damage !

Awesome djm-600! I especially love the missing cover on the led display.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    That mixer was in World War II during the island hoping campaign!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

lol such an awesome pic. can't believe it still worked, nice one!

Once i move house, I will get my 1210's out and take a picture they have been with me for 22 years since i was 16 and boy they have been truly battered at blues parties clubs you name it, not been touched in 12 years mind lol.

probably even have the original music power slipmats if anyone is old enough to remember those two shops in London!

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    man, i have some stories about old, used and abused dj gear, I prefer it over new gear. I could share some stories over a few pints.
    All for that man! The more, the merrier.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --