[Soundcard:Traktor Pro] Setting Up Presonus Firebox Soundcard W\Traktor Pro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default [Soundcard:Traktor Pro] Setting Up Presonus Firebox Soundcard W\Traktor Pro

Alright,

We get lots of questions on exactly how to cue using different soundcards. Today i am going to demonstrate how to cue using a presonus firebox mixer. These basic principles can be adapted for nearly any soundcard though so even if you dont have a presonus firebox and you have no idea how to setup your soundcard read this tutorial anyway, it should help.

1) First you need to install the software that comes with the soundcard and connect up your soundcard.

2) Nows the software is installed we need to select which output is going to be used my the headphone jack. In this case the Presonus FireBox has a spdif out connection that i never so we will select this as the channel we wish to monitor.
    \

3) Now we have that setup we need to set the audio latency of the card so lets open up the "FireBox Control Panel". You will want to tweak this as low as you can without hearing audible glitches so lets just start with this setting first and you can adjust this to suit your computer later.

4)Now to Open Traktor pro and set Traktor up with the soundcard. When you open Traktor press "file" then "Audio setup. Now make sure your settings look as shown in this picture.

5a) If you are mixing internally and not using an external analogue mixing interface then in Traktors "Output Routings" tab you need to set it up shown in this first picture. The "Output Monitor" setting what you want to come out of your headphones so lets select SpdifOut which we selected to monitor on the Firebox in step 2. Physically connect the output jacks 1 and 2 on the back of your FireBox to your amplifier or if your in a club into the back of the house mixer then select MainOut as the Output Master. The Output master is the decks mixed together and ready to be played out the speakers.

5b) If you wish to mix externally on a analogue mixer then select External and setup as follows-

6) Now if you wish to cue or preview just click the Cue buttons or click the Preview buttton on rather the interface or your midi controller and it will be played out your headphones. If you cant hear anything comming out of your headphones make sure the volume is turned up a cue volume knob in the Traktor software and on the face of the soundcard is both turned up.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 02-15-2009 at 12:52 AM.

nice one Bento!
    Macbookpro 2.4 i5 4gb
    Traktor Pro 1.2.6.
    Black VCI-100 Mod firmware 1.3
    Presonus Firebox

Lemme add some helpfull info.
    If you've adjusted some routing in Firebox mixer that requres you to start your mixer app one every boot in order to restore that routing, this batch script might help:
    Code:
    start firebox_mixer.exe
    ping -n 3 127.0.0.1
    tskill firebox_mixer
    It starts the mixer app, waits 3 secs and closes it down assuming that it started and got the routing set.
    Save it to the same dir where presonus_mixer.exe is located and link in into system startup.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Cheers Tos that has always bugged me

Tech Guru

Thanks for the info Bento!
    It really helps begining people like me to start out. I dont have an Audiocard yet, but this tutorial helps everyone in general to understand what an Audiocard do in our setups.

Can I do the same thing that you did with the headphones with the Saffire LE Audio Interface Software? Or the headphones out from Saffire LE are not "direcionable"?

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    Can I do the same thing that you did with the headphones with the Saffire LE Audio Interface Software? Or the headphones out from Saffire LE are not "direcionable"?
    I am not experienced with that soundcard in particular but its more or less the same procedure on all soundcards. Going off this immage its hard to tell if you can or cant - it would take some clicking around to find out if it can or cant.

Tech Guru

Thanks Bento, really helpful stuff here...
    I think that i will be going to a firebox too, but its hard to find here in Brazil... I insist so much about Saffire LE because i alredy found it at 3 stores here hehehe

Tech Guru

thanks!
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

I believe that saffire headphone outouts are not routable/assignable.
    Bento diaplayed saffire's mixer (not LE).
    Best option would be to go to the store(s) and requre a test in order to be really sure.

Think about his fact:
    saffireLE as FireBox has 6 line outputs. If you are mixing internally, you only need 4 (2 for master and 2 for CUE). On the other side, if you are mixing externally, you would be plugging headphones to the mixer and thus it is not a problem to what channels is set your headphones out on the soundcard.
    It is possible to use headphones out (on firebox) as channels 7/8 but that is too risky as it is built for the heaphones and not mixer line in. Also presonus has really loud headphone output it would be likely to overdrive mixer inputs and thus channels 7/8 would still be unusable.
    On the other hand, saffire is bulk-ish and has really weird placement for power plug (all the way up there).
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Guru

understood now, thanks ToS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast