Mainstream Mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mainstream Mixing

Hey everybody, new to this forum but have been following the website for a while now. Just have a few questions which i cant seem to answer and was wondering if the experienced DJ community could help me out.

The other night i went to a club and watched the DJ, he was mixing mainstream music, a bit of everything and the way he did it i just cant figure out. The mixes were incredibly tight and he wasn't using sync or anything like that, the BPM's ranged as did the genres. I think he used mainly EQ's for the transitions as the channel faders didn't move once and it was more complex than a crossfader movement.

He'd often use ending phrases of choruses to then mix in the next song and keep them balanced and then tune them out.

Im just wondering if anyone out there mixes like this and if they have any ways to practice it as i cant really get my head around it just yet.

Also another question, is slamming a derogatory form of mixing? I sometimes do slam when mixing songs which dont fit and im not sure if i should be doing it as often as i should.

Cheers for the help.

Could you see what he was mixing on? Alot of commercial club DJs for 'townie' folk don't always mix, but have pre-mixed CDs, but speak over them alerting the punters of things like drinks offers and other news associated with that night, future shows etc.

And to answer your second question, don't overthink about mixing - do it however you want. Although of late this forum has fallen into a jealous pit of envy from many members, it is a great forum and there are people who mix a million different ways.

Enjoy what you do, don't fear what others think.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Mentor

Agreed

I think he was using some remixes of the tracks which has some bpm transition included. That's the way how a lot of dj's do it.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Mentor

He could have been doing any number of things to be fair, but it just sounds like he was mixing in a fairly standard fashion, just doing it well. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, not everyone who spins mainstream music is a cheat or lazy - some of them do it really well and stand out for it, it's not easy to actually mix that kind of music and sound good. But there's probably no real way of knowing without more detail.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CountenanT View Post
    He could have been doing any number of things to be fair, but it just sounds like he was mixing in a fairly standard fashion, just doing it well. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, not everyone who spins mainstream music is a cheat or lazy - some of them do it really well and stand out for it, it's not easy to actually mix that kind of music and sound good. But there's probably no real way of knowing without more detail.

Agree. Also, bear in mind that often these resident DJ use same songs night after night so they tend to be very good, as you sad - very tight mixing, not a single transition is off beat etc. Practice makes perfect
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

You said you didn't see the faders move, so it's either
    1)you didn't see him moving them but he did
    2)he was using a premade megamix/podcast that he either made at home/stole from another dj
    3) as Noizeimpact implied, he may have been using VIP mixes of tracks with bpm changes already made in the track
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    You said you didn't see the faders move, so it's either
    1)you didn't see him moving them but he did
    2)he was using a premade megamix/podcast that he either made at home/stole from another dj
    3) as Noizeimpact implied, he may have been using VIP mixes of tracks with bpm changes already made in the track
    4) the mixer had full eq kills and, as OP implied, knows how to use them well.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    4) the mixer had full eq kills and, as OP implied, knows how to use them well.
    Quote Originally Posted by StandAlone View Post
    The mixes were incredibly tight and he wasn't using sync or anything like that, the BPM's ranged as did the genres
    He'd often use ending phrases of choruses to then mix in the next song and keep them balanced and then tune them out.
    Try doing that without touching the pitchfader OR trainwrecking. Even with eq kills.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Theres a few kats out there who have the same set they play all the time and remember where the pitch fader must be. Or like my bro Nicro, He BPMs all his tunes and does the math in his head so he can mix without headphones.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast