Poolside.....djing. Read on
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Poolside.....djing. Read on

Ok so I might have taken a job that I'm not fully ready for... that's where I need your help! In late July I've been contracted to dj a nebhiohood pool party. It's an upper class subdivision here in Atlanta, and they want me to play from 6 to 11 at night. I'm not worried about the equipment, I have that all under control...it's the music.... My idea of a pool party is playing a lot of chill deep house, maybe some nudisco. Stuff like Fred falke, flight facilities, and maybe just some slow Balearic beat stuff. Not looking to turn this into some rager. But then I'm thinking suburban Americans might want to hear stuff like maroon 5 and Bruno mars and stuff like that at the pool?? That kind of music stresses me the f$$$ out. Haha so let me know if I am on the right track, or should I just run a set with top 40 crap? On a side note I really only took this gig because the money was good lol.

Tech Mentor

Ask them what they are expecting?
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Ask them what they are expecting?
    Very good point. from what they've told me, they have no idea what they want lol that's why they're hiring a professional haha

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    Very good point. from what they've told me, they have no idea what they want lol that's why they're hiring a professional haha
    The whole Futurecop! SC?

I'd go with your original intention, maybe throw in some Funky House but you probably should be prepared to play some pop music/requests if asked.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Balmain View Post
    The whole Futurecop! SC?
    Ahaha yessss. Futurecop!!

I will definitely be dropping some new daft punk as that is perfect poolside material!

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    Ahaha yessss. Futurecop!!

I will definitely be dropping some new daft punk as that is perfect poolside material!
    So yes I'd say, Futurecop! , DP , if you want some good chill song there is the new Cosmo's Midnight EP released today, everything from Hot Creations maybe, some RAC remix, VICEROY, ....

Tech Wizard

man top40 is a must, especially if you're going to be doing gigs that require you to play your usual genres. Your vision of what the pool party will most likely NOT be what you expect it to be. Playing for the masses means playing music that almost everyone knows. I'm sure you can get away with chill and relaxed house but when requests come in for Maroon 5, GNR, and stuff you either don't have or don't play at all things can go sour fast. If you can't mix the tracks then just do a fade out and fade in. GL!

Bring your stuff and download some top 40. Start with your idea and see how it goes. If they love it, your good.

If they aren't digging it, you can take it in another direction and then prepare better for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by akswun View Post
    man top40 is a must, especially if you're going to be doing gigs that require you to play your usual genres. Your vision of what the pool party will most likely NOT be what you expect it to be. Playing for the masses means playing music that almost everyone knows. I'm sure you can get away with chill and relaxed house but when requests come in for Maroon 5, GNR, and stuff you either don't have or don't play at all things can go sour fast. If you can't mix the tracks then just do a fade out and fade in. GL!
    Times have changed. EDM is mainstream. Every party I've been to in the last year wants house. Top 40 will get you TKO'd.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast