[Dubstep] Need feed back on my first mix.

Default Need feed back on my first mix.

I started practicing using VDJ about 4 months ago. I have received a few feed backs from my friends, but I need feed back from you guys who have massive experience. I don't have any samples yet. If you can, please tell me how it is, what I should do or not. Thank you.

Track list:
    1. Turret Error - Hazard Dubstep
    2. Hero - K.S.Project
    3. Breakn' A Sweat (Original mix) - Skrillex
    4. Rediscovery - SubVibe
    5. First of the Year (Equinox) - Skrillex
    6. Entrudo (calvertron Remix) - Karetus
    7. Antimatter - Mortar
    8. Da Wild - Funk4Mation
    9. Kill Everybody (Bare Noize Mix) - Skrillex
    10. Woodbury - CosmicZebra
    11.Cinema (Skrillex Mix) - Benny Benassi Feat. Gary Go

Tech Mentor

I am not into the style of music you mix, so am unfortunately not going to be listening to it to give you feedback.

But! I just wanted to reply to commend you for :

1) tracklist
    2) download link
    3) proper soundcloud embed

and to welcome you to DJTT!

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Wizard

not a bad mix.. one thing I would say is, too much Skrillex. Don't get me wrong I like and respect him as an artist, but for an eleven song mix, 3 of the songs are him and 1 is a remix. I would say too much of any artist even if you were playing 4 songs from a different artist, it isn't because it's Skrillex. Maybe look around for some other songs people havent heard that hit hard to replace some just to mix it up a little bit instead of playing Skrillex almost every other song in the mix.

Awesomer- Thank you. It took me a while to get the link up there, preview after preview... lol This is my first time doing any forum posting and also on sound cloud as well. I wanted to use traktor but im still setting up songs on there. soo much work... So for the time being, I'm using VDJ until everything is set on Tracktor, hopefully soon...

Truetalk- Thank you, I will definitely make sure to keep that in mind. At the time I didn't have a lot of dubstep to mix with. I'm still collecting songs though. I have more of dance and trance. Still trying to figure out which would work better for me.

Decent mix for a beginner. But, as has already been said, there is too much of the same artist i.e. Skrillex. Not saying he is bad. In fact he is excellent at what he does, but try and mix it up a bit.

Also, you don't need samples to mix. If you're going to be doing controllerism routines, it might be best to maybe gather a few samples, but you definitely do not need them to create an above average mix.

Try and use some different transitioning techniques rather than just fading in and out on each track and try not to use the same technique in succession. There are thousands of different techniques out there and thousands of videos on how to do them and how to do them well. Just do a little research.

Just a little constructive criticism, but other than that. Really good for a first mix.

Tech Mentor

I think the main issue here has already been said, too much of one artist - I think your best bet if you are going to do something like that is to actually mix all the songs by the same artist back to back in kind of a medley (they're always cool, but many might disagree).
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KieranSmith View Post
    Decent mix for a beginner. But, as has already been said, there is too much of the same artist i.e. Skrillex. Not saying he is bad. In fact he is excellent at what he does, but try and mix it up a bit.

Also, you don't need samples to mix. If you're going to be doing controllerism routines, it might be best to maybe gather a few samples, but you definitely do not need them to create an above average mix.

Try and use some different transitioning techniques rather than just fading in and out on each track and try not to use the same technique in succession. There are thousands of different techniques out there and thousands of videos on how to do them and how to do them well. Just do a little research.

Just a little constructive criticism, but other than that. Really good for a first mix.
    Thank you, I'm still looking for other ideas on mixing between songs. I just did another mix, although its not dubstep, I think I did better than this one with everyone giving me ideas and opinion. Started using effects that were available for me on VDJ. (not many in there... <.<) But hopefully it would be approve soon so everyone can check it out.