eks xp 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eks xp 10

Tech Mentor

Default eks xp 10

hi guys,
    recently someone posted that EKS is selling the Xp10 controllers for around 100 Euros which should be a decent deal.
    So I really was contemplating about selling my Total Control, which never really satisfied me for haptic and stability reasons, sell my Echo 2 Firewire soundcard and use the money to buy two of these and then rob a bank to get a decent 3 channel mixer.

So the questions are:
    1) Does any of you have one and any opinion on it?
    2) Furthermore I couldn't really find out how many audio outputs the device has, so I sort of guess that it just has two. So if you use two of the devices is there any driver that makes it possible to use both soundcards simultaneously in order to do 4 channel external mixing?

3) any suggestions for cheap and reasonable quality mixers with a minimum of 3 channels?

Thanks a lot
    J.

Tech Mentor

The jog wheel is really good. The buttons dont really move when pressed.

They have one stereo output, so if you want 4 deck control you need to use them as midi controllers and use external soundcard with more outputs (or get more xps..).

1. i think they r gr8, have been using a pair since 2k4 i think, exelent portabillity and quality, bit plasty, but they r quite sturdy imo

2. 1 sterio out on each, the EKS ASIO drivers/Xmapper is da shit cant remember me having a driver issue during any performance running ASIO, I had an issue with a driver bug thou, but that was reproduced at EKS and solved in less than 24 hours with some fast emails

The Asio/Xmapper allows u to plug in and use all the devices u need, it just shows up as more audio channels out in the channels available for mapping in ur software, as an example: I use 1 EKS Otus and 1 XP10 to controll 4 channels in Traktor Pro takin 3 sterio channels from the Otus and 1 from the XP10, I have also tryed runnin 4 XP10's with Traktor Pro it works gr8. so as u add EKS units to ur comp the sound outputs(and MIDI channels) become mappable in the Xmapper.

If ur gonna mix 4 channels in traktor with just 2 xp10's, u r gonna have to use 2 channels on an external mixer as master and cue, and then mix 4 channels in internal mode.

3. cant rly help u on mixer m8, how about an Numark m4? prolly dirtcheap, but might not be that good quality due to the low price, but i havent tested it so I cant tell.

If u have any other q's about EKS stuff I might be able to help u, just ask in this thread and ill do what i can(im no official EKS dude, have just used there stuff a lot)

peace
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Tech Mentor

Hi other one, (man I slept in Chemistry is that a Shulgin or a Hoffman Molecule?)
    Anyways,
    So Just to get things straight, the EKS Xp 10 just has ONE output right? so by itself it wouldn`t even allow Headphone cueing????
    So external mixing would an external 4 channel soundcard? What a schlepp, I really thought I could sort of change devices without having to chip out for either a third Xp10 or another soundcard. I quite like the layout of the units and the idea of touch sensitive jogwheel with a couple of modifiers should almost replace any need for mousing around.....

I just saw a couple of second hand Ecler SMAC mixers on ebay for around 100 Eur. hmmmmm. I`ll have to think and sleep about this a couple of nights
    Cheers!

Tech Convert

For two decks you can use external mixing as you said and cuetracks up through the mixer. You do have an issue with 4 deck mixing though!

Quote Originally Posted by derjay View Post
    So Just to get things straight, the EKS Xp 10 just has ONE output right? so by itself it wouldn`t even allow Headphone cueing????
    So external mixing would an external 4 channel soundcard? What a schlepp, I really thought I could sort of change devices without having to chip out for either a third Xp10 or another soundcard. I quite like the layout of the units and the idea of touch sensitive jogwheel with a couple of modifiers should almost replace any need for mousing around.....

I just saw a couple of second hand Ecler SMAC mixers on ebay for around 100 Eur. hmmmmm. I`ll have to think and sleep about this a couple of nights
    Cheers!
    1 xp10 is like a cdplayer, it has 1 sterio out, left and right channels, so it allows u to headphoneque, but u have to connect it to a mixer first, and headphoneque it tru the mixer.

so if u have 2 xp10's u can use 1 for the master out and the 2nd for cuin, connect this to 2 channels on any mixer and u can do 4 deck mixin internaly with the use of focus and some smart mappin.

vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Tech Mentor

Hi just might bump this up again,

just got 3 Xp10s I like them very much, very nice layout, they look sharp and the jogwheel is sweet. I believe the pitchfaders need a bit of time to wear in, maybe their scratching against the casing.

The soundcards are nice too. I think the Echo Audiofire I used before had a littlebit more dynamic range and had an ickle bit more detail, actually I believe my home PA sounds better now (more pleasant).

A second hand Ecler Smac Pro should come with the mail tommorow.

so do you have any idea where to get a nice tsi mapped out for the each of the units on a different midi channel?

Somehow Taktor Pro 1.2 just gives me one physical port in the mapping section, so I`ll have to go down the midi channel road anyway.
    Last edited by derjay; 09-28-2009 at 04:50 PM.

here is all the info u need

http://eks.fi/index2.php?p=support&o=XP%20Series

and there is links to where ur TSI's installed on those pages, if u have any other q's, just ask here, im getting bumps in my mail

on the NI forum i found this http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...769#post569769

havent tryed it but others seem to like it, if u want to i can try to dig up my old mapping if u want

vestax PMC-CX

Tech Mentor

Hey thanks very much!
    great links, if you had a working tsi for a couple of them in Tpro and it wouldn't be too much of a hassle I'de be very very happy to check it out.

I downgrade from Traktor's latest update to try it out anyway, since even with just one controller, the program has been acting strange.

For example the midi learn function recognizes some eratic cc value that fills in without any key being hit and without the midi input 'meter' (at the top of the main window) recognizing any input. Another weird thing was that although I had installed the original EKS TSI the controls would after each start up do something different. Ie. - right after importing the tsi touch wheel and buttons worked as specified, after restart, play button did not work anymore and touch wheel top and rim assignment were changed. Likewise Traktor gave me a warning that no soundcard was installed, when I tried to change the latency. At the same time sound was there and it was possible to enter the latency dialogue despite a lot of flashing red lights.
    Maybe there's a driver issue.
    Sieving through the NI site I found simillar reports on A+H 1ds. So I'll check whether the issue can be fixed by downgrade and ask the EKS support.

Cheers
    J.

Tech Wizard

Are any of you using an XP10 on osx 10.6.3 on an INTEL mac.
    I've read it doesn't work?

not so bothered about audio not working if it works as a midi controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast