DJ'ing with IEMs

Default DJ'ing with IEMs

Hey all! I am 18 years old and for the sake of my hearing, just bought a pair of Westone UM2 IEMs and I'm having some problems.

As I have started to use them I have gotten very disorientated. I find it very strange to hear the mix through my cue rather than through the mains. Is this just something that will come with practice? Are there certain things i can do to get used to them faster?

Thanks in advance!
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Well, I am not really sure about this disorientation you are experiencing. I use the same IEM's, I have 2 pairs. One out of the box and the others are custom molded. Both are the westones that you have. These were not my first IME's. I started with actually a more expensive pair but they were blown out, but because I became so used to them I can't comfortably use cans anymore.

So with all of that being said I think after a month or so I just got used to them. From time to time I pop them out while mixing. But I could leave them in for hours and be fine. If I were you I would give it some time...

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Hey all! I am 18 years old and for the sake of my hearing, just bought a pair of Westone UM2 IEMs and I'm having some problems.

As I have started to use them I have gotten very disorientated. I find it very strange to hear the mix through my cue rather than through the mains. Is this just something that will come with practice? Are there certain things i can do to get used to them faster?

Thanks in advance!
    Any form of in-ear headphones send me a little bit doolally; it's something to do with the pressure differential over time and the fact that certain parts of your ears (inner ear/middle ear) are involved with processing your balance... same way how you can feel dizzy when you have an ear infection etc.

Some people are fine with them, others just flat-out can't use them unfortunately. Only way to know for sure is to keep using them and see if it gets better
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll just keep chugging away at it!
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

If you don't get used to the IEM'S. Get musician ear plugs, Ear plugs usually bring the sound down by 10-20db it all depends on what you prefer.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye