USB Ports on a Macbook Pro
    Tech Convert

Default USB Ports on a Macbook Pro

Hey Everyone,

I was thinking about buying a MBP sometime soon. My concern is with it's limited number of USB ports. the 15.4" model only has 2 while the 17" has 3. If was to go with the 15.4" model I might have to start using a USB hub. Has anyone had any issues with USB hubs and getting all their equipment working? On my various PC's i've had USB hubs that just don't work or devices hooked up to it aren't recognized.

I'd like to hook up my soundcard, VCI-100 and in the future maybe a pad controller and keyboard.

hey

The recomendation of people here, in order to keep the latency down, is that you get a hub that has a separate translator chip (can't remember if thats the actual technical name but something like that) for each device on the hub, rather than one single one that does all 4 ports.

Also get one that has the option of its own power supply and get an adapter for it.

Again from recommendation of people on here I got this Logitech one..

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/no.../3048&cl=gb,en

...and its worked great

k

Tech Guru

in the past people have recommended getting expresscards with upto 4 usb2 ports. however the 15" now doesnt have an expresscard slot anymore. which is why i have forgone the update i had planned this summer. will need to see what apple has to offer next summer. or move up to a 17"
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Wizard

i use MB 13".
    sometimes i use usb hub and no latency. it has it's own power source, maybe that's why it works ok, i don't know. but it's all good. i wouldn't worry if i were you.
    just ordered external hdd so i will have to use it all the time from now on.